Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I live in Buffalo, NY... our cold tap water in the winter can get well into the 30's. I tried using just cold water and the output of the unit was probably 1/10th the normal amount. I have to use a hot/cold mix to bring the temp up on the input line.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Couldn't you use that as a large display of tank temperature? No more tiny thermometer. Visible across the room. You would just have to epoxy it into a T fitting on some PVC somewhere in the flow of the tank. Probably the return. I know it wouldn't work like a heater controller, but I want to get some WonPro Titanium Heaters. If I go w/ Pro Heat I, I'll have reliable heaters, and I can get the temp probe from Radioshack. Does it have an alarm (even if it's just a beep) if it goes above/below a certain temp? What do you all think, and what exactly was this called at Radioshack? And how much was it, I think I missed that part. Thanks!

[edit] Oh, and yeah, I live in MI, and it's been dropping below 0, with average high in the teens. What's a safe and effective way to combine hot/cold water to go into the RO/DI unit? It barely trickles, and I'm assuming it's because the water is darn chilly. Thanks. [/edit]

Old 01-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What's a safe and effective way to combine hot/cold water to go into the RO/DI unit?
I actually use a faucet connector for mine and have it attached to the basement sink. I just turn on the hot and cold to get the right mix and let it go.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, there's no sink in the basement. Right now, it's using a self-piercing saddle that has it connected to the cold water line. I dunno if there's much I can do.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com