insecurity's DIY aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my materials, laid them out, then I realized that I forgot something.
Two panels! I got four pieces instead of six!
The panels I'm using are 10x14 Lexan.

Anyways, sealing some pieces together now with inside beads with some GE Silicone I. It was only after I had all my pieces drying up when I realized one piece needed to be cut for access door and filter/heater.

No worries though. I'll flip my design around so instead of being long, it'll be tall.

Don't have any pics now, I'll upload some either tonight or tomrrow.

A few questions though: 1) With the size tank I'm building, I think it'd be a good small breeder, moving or betta tank. I'm thinking I might paint the back piece either black or blue. Thoughts? 2) I'm going to get another piece for the other panels tomorrow. for the top I'm kinda thinking corroplast, that way it can be custom cut for whatever filter/heater unit, and more easily replaced, as I think I'll have a double hinged lid design.

Like I said- pics coming up soon.

For the paint on the back, use an acrylic paint on the outside and I prefer black for freshwater. Blue is real nice too, especially for saltwater. Paint it whichever you like, your the one that has to look at it. :)

I'll be waiting for the pics!

stop do not use plexieglass and silicone for a long term watertight seal.
you need a plastic bonding solvent. look up " weldon".

Picture time:
img_2086244_0_588e4336e7e62620a10e3e2b47aba963.jpg

img_2086244_1_d00a4c9f99a562c22bfa09c42813fbda.jpg

img_2086244_2_174fac4369b9faadfabf386359403d87.jpg

Yes, I know angelfish4 said not to use the plexi, but I did. Why? Because at the time, I was 3/4 of the way finished so I thought- what the hell- finish it.
The top and bottom black pieces are made of corroplast. The clear piece on the top is a piece of impact resistant non-glare plexi that a friend of mine gave me.
The back piece was painted with a light dusting of metallic silver and flat black overtop.
All the pieces look dirty because, well they are. It's also because I took off all the plastic and had all the pieces treated at a autobody shop that I did my high-school co-op at with a liquid plastic that melts off with hot water.
All in all- it defintely does not look pretty, and it probably doesn't hold water. (Long term testing starting next Monday.)
IF, for some reasons unknown that it DOES hold water, I think I'll polish it up, finsh the edges, maybe put some sort of decorative border on the corners and either sell it or give it to my sister.
If it doesn't hold water (more reasonable), I'll think I'll secure the lid and put a locking device on it, and we can use it at work to put dangerous confisicated items in.

Silicone does not stick well to plexiglass, its a chemistry related thing.

Back
Top Bottom