insulation pad or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks...

Thank you for all your help, one thing that always confuses me about these forums is how the simple questions mushroom into knock down drag out arguments.. is saw formulas, physics equations.. etc.

BUT in other forums when I ask about questions such as plant growth/death, they get overlooked like dookie on the roadside.

thanks though.

Glasscages.com had a warranty info card in the tank that said if a styrofoam pad was not used in between the tank and the stand then the warranty was void. Holes can be cut where they are needed but the 4 corners and edges must be intact.

one thing that always confuses me about these forums is how the simple questions mushroom into knock down drag out arguments..

BUT in other forums when I ask about questions such as plant growth/death, they get overlooked like dookie on the roadside.
Anything controversial is going to get more attention. Everyone brings out every shred of evidence they can find to support their own side, making for a long thread. Routine stuff gets several answers that agree, and it's over.

I see several knowlegable people responded with useful information on your thread new plant rot or adjustment is there a problem with their answers that leaves you dissatisfied? Feel free to ask additional questions on that thread if the first answers are not clear to you.

BTW - Toys R Us sells the 3/4" interlocking blue foam.

I was at a birthday party for a 1 year old and they had the foam down on the floor to protect the boy from falls.

Regarding forum arguments;
Forums, in addition to being a source of information, are also a source of a bit of entertainment. Not as intense as political blogs, but enough to keep me interested. Let's face it, >99% of the questions and answers on this forum are repetitive; the other posts are largely people bragging about their new equipment, setups, fish, great deals, etc. The best part of the heated discussions is they are random and vary in intensity. If it wasn't for the occasional heated discussions, I would rarely visit any of the fish forums.

BTW - I just read the last page of Ziggy's post and he said his 120G tank also cracked. I only read the beginning of the post where his 150G cracked and saw the picture of the stand. I knew his new 120G tank would also be under stress and I am not surprised that it cracked. What upsets me more is that the manufacturer replaced it as a manufacturing defect. I'm paying higher tank prices for people like you and Ziggy who don't know physics. Ziggy is solely responsible for the tank cracking. I wonder how the tank would have fared if he had put 1/2" black exercise foam pad under it? I'm sure his foam would have looked similar to the foam under my 75G (i.e., less compressed in the middle from a sagging center that lacked proper support).

Lets just clear a few things up here. The 150g tank cracked for 2 reasons.. 1st the stand it was on did not have a perfectly flat top and 2nd it was placed on foam. This was totally my fault.

The first 120 cracked as a direct result of manufacture defect. The plastic trim that supports the glass was installed incorrectly. This came from perfecto. I spoke with them at length about the tank and the defect. They had an entire shipment that went out and was recalled I was unlucky enough to get one that was missed by the recall. That is why the replaced the tank.

Now if you own a Perfecto tank and you did not purchase their stand they say, under no circumstances is the tank to be placed on foam. The plastic trim is designed to carry the load of the tank. If you put foam under a perfecto tank and it fails your warranty is void. They provide a 20 year warranty on their tanks when placed on their stand and a 90 day warranty on their tanks when placed on any other kind of stand.

Now to further clear the air I had to provide pictures of the stand the tank was on to their engineers and their response back to me about the construction was that it was "More then addiquate to handle the tank"

I don't have an engineering degree but I have been building cabinets for over 10 years. Please do not assume that based on a few pictures you see that you know how the stand was built or my ability to build it.

You are not paying more for a tank because of people like me. Don't presume to know the full extent of the situation and make statements based on half the information.

Back
Top Bottom