Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

is Aluminum unsafe for saltwater fish?

I was thinking that the idea of plywood cannot be a long lasting solid idea. What if a person used aluminum instead? Obviously it would be more expensive, but a person could use 1/8 instead of 3/4 and it would be waterproof by bending and welding. But is it bad for fish or anenomies?

Old 10-28-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
aluminum is fine the skeleton of my hood is made from it as well as all the nuts and bolts. why not build and aluminumskeleton and use some black acrylic for the outside of your hood, cheaper and lighter i would guess, if you are referring to your "reflector" then i got some galvanized roofing from lowes. It is cheap and works well so far.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I couldn't tell from your post what exactly you are wanting to use the aluminum for. But, there are many metals and alloys that corrode very quickly when exposed to salts of any kind, aluminum especially. For example, rarly is aluminum used on salt water fishing boats, stainless steel fittings and riggings are the ones of choice, even the screws.

I'm not sure if the byproduct (corrosion) is toxic from aluminum, it will appear to be a chalky white powerdy substance. I do know that salt water will accelerate this corrosion process. As mentioned above, one might be careful with galvanized steel as well. I do know that the fumes emmiting from welding galvinized steel are extremely toxic to us humans. Look into it if you can find some info, the corrosion may not be harmfull at all especially if it is just a small splashige here and there.

Also, anytime you connect two dis-similiar metals, there will be corrosion at some time, at the point of contact, especially in a salt enviroment. When a electric current is applied it really accelerates the process even at a minimal level, your car's battery terminals are a good example of this, ie. copper leads, lead terminals. Hope this helps, Scott
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another thing, plywood, especially marine plywood is a great material if it is coated with a 2 part epoxy paint. If the paint will be exposed to the contents of the tank, make sure it has a NSF rating for potable water, (safe for human consumption, the water that is).

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com