Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Id be scared of someone building such a large tank that obviosuly is learning while he goes. Seems he might be better off with a nano first.

Matt

Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What happens if he decides to sell the place? Can't take it with him! It sounds like he either is lacking in common sense, or just has no respect for the safety of his neighbors. I can't believe the FD busted down his door! Did he at least apologize for the incident? I would think that anytime that sort of thing happens, the HOA would be right on top of it, making sure there wasn't a violation of the covenants.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

if he is building it right there isnt anything to worry about. i would be there asking to help. i know most hoa's are insane but trying to stop the guy from building a fish tank is a little over the top. anything that can be built can be taking down.

also i have a lot more water then that sitting here and never gave one thought what the neighbors think.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You won't have any trouble with weight issues if there is a concrete slab. Your real concern is the integrity of the tank he is building, if it fails all the water will go some where...... see if he is installing some sort of drainage.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is on a concrete slab then it shouldn't be a problem. Ask him if he is posting a build log on a forum somewhere so the rest of us can follow. If he is doing something he shouldn't then it would be easy to point out.

I will say that a LOT of people have built their own tanks without problems. That doesn't mean he is doing it right... but we can't see it so can't comment.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
gil
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I understand your concern since I also live in a townhouse but I dont feel there is anything wrong with the guy building a 500 gallon tank, especially since its in the basement on top of concrete and it would be absurd for the HOA to get involved in someone's privacy, my neighbor has a jacuzzi in his basement and that is a few hundred gallons. The key here is responsibility and the issue with the fumes would make me worry more than anything else since it leads me to believe there is carelessness on his part.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just trying to point out that some HOA covenants are pretty strict, especially in Townhomes. There may be a limit on the number and size/type of pet for instance, like no big or vicious dogs (that is a common one) and some will restrict hot tubs, satellite dishes, and allowable aquarium sizes.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is how I feel...If my neighbors caused a lethal fume problem, I would be all over them like flies on crap. This person obviously has no idea what they are doing, otherwise the fumes never would have become a problem.

I have pets and reef tanks and all I need is fumes coming into my place from A-hole neighbors that dont know what they are doing. Id say this guy shouldnt be building a 500g tank if he has no experience doing so. His fumes incident is proof of that.

My 20g tank spilled 5g due to a bad HOB filter and that was enough to drip below to the people below me. They saw it and called the landlord and I was in big trouble. I cant imagine what 500g of spilled water might do...

Matt
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

That fume issue wold be enuf to make me worry about this guy as opposed to someone that had forsight, smarts, and the ability to deal with it better than he did. I agree that HOA's can be ruff, but this guy deserves special attention IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

there that saying about assuming something..... maybe there was a accident and didnt think it would cause problems for the people around.... left and let it air out a little.... talking to him maybe give him some resorces to help him do it right seems like the best idea to me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com