Is my neighbor on drugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turboeclipse97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post, please read it the whole way through, could use some advice.

For starters, I live in a row of townhouses. We'll call my house #1, with houses arranged like this: #1|#2|#3.

Owner of house #2 is building an enormous aquarium into his basement, large enough that it has to be built in the house. He claims its 500 gallons. He already has ~500 gallon of water sitting there through 2 smaller aquariums as well.

Now this was of no concern to me until yesterday (I work about 100hours a week and havent had time to think twice about it), neighbor in house #3 called the fire department early in the afternoon for crazy fumes coming into his house from house #2, and the owner of house #2 was nowhere to be found. Fire department aired out house #3 and left. Well 10pm rolls around, guy in house #2 is still nowhere to be found, and the fumes coming out of there are getting worse, fire department comes back, with HAZMAT team, breaks down the guys door and finds "highly toxic" levels of chemical fumes. Was actually told that if the fire fighters werent wearing their oxygen tanks they would have pretty much passed out within a few seconds.

Chemicals were supposedly from fiberglass resin he was using to build his giant aquarium. I'm now getting fumes over here in my house, bad enough where I do not feel comfortable leaving my dogs inside today. And now I've actually had some time to sit here and think about this. What are the concerns with having 1000 gallons of water on the other side of my wall? Obviously water evaporates, and mold can form right? What the **** happens if that 500 gallon tank springs a leak while he is at work (my townhouse sits about 1-2ft lower than his)? What other issues do I need to be concerned with? (smells are at the top of my list right now).

Or is 500-1000 gallons something to not even worry about? Aside from the fumes from him building it.

Thanks
Jack

I'd worry about it since you say your house is 1-2 ft lower. Also, because house #2 doesn't seem bright enuf to understand that the fiberglass resin vapors can be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about mold unless water leaked and was allowed to sit somewhere - like in the wall between you two.

Now, the question is... what can you do about it if the fire department couldn't stop him? Is there as HOA (home owners association) that can help you?

HOA yes, and Im fairly certain that there is something in their rules about crazy changes inside your house needing approval of their "architectural" committee.

I just want to be sure that I'm not just being paranoid before I were to do anything, I'd obviously approach the owner first.

That's a good idea approaching the owner first to help the neighborly approach. I'd also write my concerns in a short note, sign it and give it to your neighbor in case he has any questions. Then, if you get no response then contact the powers that be. You're on the right track.

so then that would be +2 on agreeing that having 500 gallons of water uphill from me is a bad idea..

I would also be concerned about the situation. You need to make sure that if something does go wrong you would be covered some how. Like austinsdad said i would really be concerned about someone who lets their house (and neighbors) fill up with toxic fumes from working with fiberglass. I would be willing to bet my life on the fact that it states all over the packaging for the fiberglass to use in a well ventaleted area and that it is a safty hazard.

so then that would be +2 on agreeing that having 500 gallons of water uphill from me is a bad idea..

Make it +3. I get nervous from time to time having just 46g of water in my upstairs living room.

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about mold/mildew. Yes, there will be evaporation from the tank, but I'm guessing humidity levels wouldn't be allowed to rise to the levels that would cause mold/mildew problems. That would make the house pretty unbearable to live in.

First thing I would do is make sure my own homeowner's insurance is paid up to cover myself in case of any mistakes someone else does.

Awesome, turns out its actually 600 gallons, he seems pretty set on building it. I'm now also concerned with having almost 2 and a half tons of weight sitting on the edge of the concrete slab back there.. that can't be good for structural integrity

I would have him contact the HOA and approve any designs he has or have an engineer or architect double check. Usually on the concrete slab is more then enough support but if its on a corner like you say, it deserves a double check.

Id be scared of someone building such a large tank that obviosuly is learning while he goes. :-D Seems he might be better off with a nano first. ;-)

Matt

What happens if he decides to sell the place? Can't take it with him! It sounds like he either is lacking in common sense, or just has no respect for the safety of his neighbors. I can't believe the FD busted down his door! Did he at least apologize for the incident? I would think that anytime that sort of thing happens, the HOA would be right on top of it, making sure there wasn't a violation of the covenants.

if he is building it right there isnt anything to worry about. i would be there asking to help. i know most hoa's are insane but trying to stop the guy from building a fish tank is a little over the top. anything that can be built can be taking down.

also i have a lot more water then that sitting here and never gave one thought what the neighbors think.

You won't have any trouble with weight issues if there is a concrete slab. Your real concern is the integrity of the tank he is building, if it fails all the water will go some where...... see if he is installing some sort of drainage.

If it is on a concrete slab then it shouldn't be a problem. Ask him if he is posting a build log on a forum somewhere so the rest of us can follow. If he is doing something he shouldn't then it would be easy to point out.

I will say that a LOT of people have built their own tanks without problems. That doesn't mean he is doing it right... but we can't see it so can't comment.

I understand your concern since I also live in a townhouse but I dont feel there is anything wrong with the guy building a 500 gallon tank, especially since its in the basement on top of concrete and it would be absurd for the HOA to get involved in someone's privacy, my neighbor has a jacuzzi in his basement and that is a few hundred gallons. The key here is responsibility and the issue with the fumes would make me worry more than anything else since it leads me to believe there is carelessness on his part.

I was just trying to point out that some HOA covenants are pretty strict, especially in Townhomes. There may be a limit on the number and size/type of pet for instance, like no big or vicious dogs (that is a common one) and some will restrict hot tubs, satellite dishes, and allowable aquarium sizes.

Here is how I feel...If my neighbors caused a lethal fume problem, I would be all over them like flies on crap. This person obviously has no idea what they are doing, otherwise the fumes never would have become a problem.

I have pets and reef tanks and all I need is fumes coming into my place from A-hole neighbors that dont know what they are doing. Id say this guy shouldnt be building a 500g tank if he has no experience doing so. His fumes incident is proof of that.

My 20g tank spilled 5g due to a bad HOB filter and that was enough to drip below to the people below me. They saw it and called the landlord and I was in big trouble. I cant imagine what 500g of spilled water might do...

Matt

That fume issue wold be enuf to make me worry about this guy as opposed to someone that had forsight, smarts, and the ability to deal with it better than he did. I agree that HOA's can be ruff, but this guy deserves special attention IMO.

there that saying about assuming something..... maybe there was a accident and didnt think it would cause problems for the people around.... left and let it air out a little.... talking to him maybe give him some resorces to help him do it right seems like the best idea to me.

Back
Top Bottom