Is "Pool Table" slate safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Somebody trashed their pool table and listed the slate pieces on Craigslist for free Would that be safe in a fish tank? They listed it for crafts and was just wondering if it would just be plain slate or if they treat it somehow. Thoughts??

As far as I know, it's regular slate that's not treated in any way. They just cover it with the felt. Funny enough I saw an episode on how it's made about slate for pool tables.

One more question, what about slate that was in front of my fireplace, it's a rectangle piece and I can see where they glued it down. What if I break it into smaller pieces and avoid those with glue on it? Safe or avoid?

Great, thanks!

No problem, glad I could help. Slate is Slate ... the metamorphic form of shale, maybe a few minor mineral differences here and there. Unless the slate from your fireplace was specifically treated with chemicals, then that slate could be used, just break off the glued edges. Slate, like brick, can handle heat well so it's ideal for use around fireplaces.

I used discarded slate people ended up not using for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom