Is pottery safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My daughter is very crafty. She also loves the fish tank. For Christmas she got a pottery kit that includes "air dry" clay. Would this be safe in a fish tank?

It would be a fun father/daughter project to make our own "cichlid stones" or a cave or something but obviously don't want to harm my fish.

Thoughts?

CraigMac said:
My daughter is very crafty. She also loves the fish tank. For Christmas she got a pottery kit that includes "air dry" clay. Would this be safe in a fish tank?

It would be a fun father/daughter project to make our own "cichlid stones" or a cave or something but obviously don't want to harm my fish.

Thoughts?

A clay pot or terra cotta pot is safe for fish (have one in my cichlid tank) Don't boil the rocks though will explode I just put baking soda on mine and wash GOOD!! Heard something about vinegar test with rocks seeing if vinegar bubbles or not to see if safe.

Yeah I've heard clay pots are safe but what about the make your ow pottery with air dry clay? Anybody know?

Perhaps you could call the company that makes it. They may be able to give you some info. My gut tells me no its not safe but its just a gut feeling.

I doubt it, but polymer clay like sculpey is safe once it has cured. It is excellent clay and comes in about a zillion colors, so I'm sure you could figure out some cool project with it. Air dry just seems like it wouldn't hold up underwater, and I fear it would dissolve and poison your fish.

Ok thanks guys. I didn't think so but just wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom