Is PVC cement/solvent safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to use PVC pipe to create a shelf in my sump and possibly a shelf for LR to create caves, etc. Is regular PVC cement safe to use? Is there something else I should use? Thanks!

Thanks for the help and advice. I decided to just go for it this weekend. No problems, and it was pretty easy. I let it cure overnight and strong as can be.

Make sure to rinse the pipes off really well before putting them in your tank. Oh and the glue should be dry before use as well.

If you are going to have some silicone on hand then I suggest stopping by wal-mart and picking up (in the pet department) aquarium silicone. They sell tubes of it for $5 or so. It is aquarium safe and works. I keep a couple of tubes on hand just in case.

This will eliminate the guessing or not knowing for sure if a product is safe for use in the aquarium. HTH

There is no guessing, GE Silicone I for windows and doors, is safe for use in aquariums, as are a number of other brands that say "ideal for aquariums" on the label and are around $4 for a caulking gun sized tube.

Back
Top Bottom