Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is there a DIY co2 splitter

I have one fifty gallon tank that I am injecting CO2 into. The plant growth has done quite well. I would like to add two other tanks to the CO2. Is there any DIY syatems out there to use one tank of gas on three or more tanks?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

vovlolater, funny you should ask this. I was just getting ready to ask a similar question. I recently added a 5g nano tank, and am running pressurized CO2. My LFS told me to just use a cheapo airline gang valve and split it that way. Unfortunately, it is not working out too well. I am having a **** of a time getting it to balance between the 29G and the 5g. The little ball valve is just too sensitive to get it to balance under that much pressure. It also is a very fine line between getting the 2 diffusers to balance since the gas wants to take the path of least resistance.. go too far 1 way and no CO2 comes out the other diffuser, even if the valve is part open. I am looking at buying a 2 way splitter off of ebay. They also sell a 3 way splitter that might meet your needs if no one has a better solution.
FWIW, I have bought from this seller many times... very reliable.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You have to use a manifold to be able to split the CO2.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Sliced Bread

Like Purr said, you need a manifold to do it accurately/effectively. I have that 3-way that Fort linked, works like a champ.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Like Purr said, you need a manifold to do it accurately/effectively. I have that 3-way that Fort linked, works like a champ.
Are you using the Milwaukee MA957? Does the old needlevalve/bubble counter come off easy, and does this new 1 just screw right on where the old 1 came off?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have made a manifold from some brass valves and a aluminum manifold from Princess auto. The trouble is I am having a terrible time adjusting to get the right CO2 in all of the tanks. It seems that all of the CO2 goes into one tank and you set that valve to keep a ph of 6.5. The other tanks are sitting as though you did not have them connected.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Are you using the Milwaukee MA957? Does the old needlevalve/bubble counter come off easy, and does this new 1 just screw right on where the old 1 came off?
Yes, and Yes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Excellent. Well I ordered the 2 way manifold yesterday... so should have it in a couple of weeks. Cannot wait for it to get here. The current method is causing me to have to make adjustments 2 or 3 times a day.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvolater View Post
I have made a manifold from some brass valves and a aluminum manifold from Princess auto. The trouble is I am having a terrible time adjusting to get the right CO2 in all of the tanks. It seems that all of the CO2 goes into one tank and you set that valve to keep a ph of 6.5. The other tanks are sitting as though you did not have them connected.
That tank is the path of least resistance. The stuff at the auto parts store is probably designed for fluids or high flow rates. It most likely won't be sensitive enough for this application.

The manifold splits the flow into however many feeds you are looking for. You could manifold 2 or 10 it makes no difference as long as the output of the regulator (CFM & psi) can keep up. At high pressures you would only need a check valve and shutoff for each leg of the system. At the low pressures and flow rates planted tanks run, you have to account for the resistance of valves, fittings, tubing, water height, etc.

A fine thread needle valve rated for WOG service will allow for precise control of each leg without seperate regulators. The bubble counter unit will allow you to see the actual flow rate and adjust accordingly. This link from marine depot should help.
JBJ Bubble Counter (male/female) + Built-in Check Valve
scroll down and it shows quite a few items.
Also http://www.aquariumplants.com/Co2_ma...iums_p/man.htm

p.s. the bubble counter has a built in check valve which is a good thing.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the help I may try one of the proper valves if I continue to have trouble with the home made one I am using. The fun is in the trying.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com