Is there a way to mod my Chinese LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo C

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I remove dimmer control and hard wire them to reef keeper so they will ramp up & down?

I ordered a Chinese led from Amazon from Oceanrevive then found the Current Orbit led. I have 2 of the 36"-48" on my 65 gallon, which I'm thrilled with. I'm certainly no electrician, but it's probably safer to get different lights instead of trying to rig them. Just don't want y'all to get hurt.

Just hoping to automate the light so I don't have full power on then off.

led

you cannot mod them to automatic controll that allows the light to dim automatically to give lunar effect.

Oh well, thank you for your info. I had high hopes though.

you cannot mod them to automatic controll that allows the light to dim automatically to give lunar effect.
not sure where you are getting this info but its not correct.
to the OP, you would have to ensure your driver in the led fixture is running the same dimming signal as the reef keeper. (ive only done the research for Apex units) for instance, with the Apex, the VDM module runs on a 0-10v signal. as long as the driver in the fixture runs on the same 0-10v signal, you can mod them. at what cost? I couldn't tell you, but its possible. I know that when I priced it on the tao fixtures I wanted to mod, it was going to cost me just over $100, and that's just to replace the drivers with the correct ones (from rapidled.com) and the misc parts. oh not to mention another $100 for the VDM module for the apex:)

We'll, you've sparked my interest ! As long as it could be cost effective. Another hundred bucks on the Chinese LEDs would still be under 400$. Hmmm!

the Meanwell drivers that I priced were roughly $32-$35 a piece I believe. keep in mind though that these led units don't use the latest, high-quality leds. that being said, id take it easy on the dimming profiles you run or you might start burning up the leds

wait, I completely forgot, theres 2 drivers in EACH fixture, (one for blues, one for whites) so youd actually need 2 drivers for each unit, only ay around that would be if you replaced the whites driver and gave the controller access to them... therefore you could ramp up and down the whites, but have the blues set on a timer.

Would it be still possible to get two for each?

It might be cost effective to look at led fixtures that CAN be controlled on the reefkeeper. I am in the same boat, I have the reefkeeper elite but I have THREE panels so it would cost me a fortune to mod mine. If I had the extra $100 a fixture or so at the time I would have bought a panel that can directly hook up to the RK.

you may want to do a lil bit of research because I know that there is some variation in the drivers used. you may be able to stumble across a particular one that has the proper drivers already in it. again its not the dimming capability that's the issue, its the type of signal used to dictate the dimming.

I've got the paperwork that came with lights but since they killed the English language on it I doubt they can help! Lol

controller

as i mentioned on my last post that you cannot covert them to automatic controller. well in a way you can if you change the led driver but the problem is if you go with changing the led driver and buying the controller it will going to cost you same as buying another chinese led system with controller.

you would have to change your led driver to maxwell drivers.
and add the typhon controller that will cost you $59.99

the led driver they use in chinese led cannot be converted to automatic controller.

i build custom led fixture in canada. and if you need any help let me know.

if you are looking to get a lunar look in you tank just cause it will look good to look at it you can go with the alternative way that will cost under $100. but if you are thinking it will make a different in the growth of life stock, it wont make a difference.

simply generalizing like that is inaccurate and incorrect. Maxwell is by no means the only led driver manufacturer out there, and there are TONS of options available when it comes to swapping out led parts. as i said, not every single last chinese led panel is exactly identical. not to mention, if the OP already has the panels, why not spend the money and mod them? its cheaper than selling them and buying new ones that plug right in

simply generalizing like that is inaccurate and incorrect. Maxwell is by no means the only led driver manufacturer out there, and there are TONS of options available when it comes to swapping out led parts. as i said, not every single last chinese led panel is exactly identical. not to mention, if the OP already has the panels, why not spend the money and mod them? its cheaper than selling them and buying new ones that plug right in

That's where I am, I've got them so why not mod em?

exactly. the fixtures should have 2 plugs per unit. 1 for whites and 1 for blues. the nice part about this is that once plugged into a controller and set up properly, you can turn on/off the whites/blues independently. so you already gain a decent amount of control and automation right there. if you want to go one step further and gain the dimming capabilities through the controller, just mod them

Well, I guess the first step is order the controller tonight. I think I'm going with the reef keeper lite plus package, it's in there online store for 349.

Back
Top Bottom