Is this repair safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this repair safe for the center brace? It is a medal strip and bolts that is holding on. There is just build up from calcium in the water. The bolts seem long enough so that they may be in the water. If I cut them shorter would they be safe?I know there was fish living in the tank at one time, however I'm just not sure for how long with this repair. Opinions appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1424270318.jpg
    image-1424270318.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 102
I wouldn't use a bolt. It sticks out too much and seems to be rusting. To fix a brace i had on a 125g i used aluminum and held everything together with rivets. I then sealed with a clear coat to prevent rust.

Convict2161 said:
Personally I'm not comfortable with that. That's just me though.

Why was it done?

It was used to repair the broken center brace. I didn't do the repair myself.

AquaRick said:
I wouldn't use a bolt. It sticks out too much and seems to be rusting. To fix a brace i had on a 125g i used aluminum and held everything together with rivets. I then sealed with a clear coat to prevent rust.

Yeah unfortunately it's already done with bolts and I'm not very comfortable with me trying to fix it again. I feel like I'd screw it up somehow.

You should prob coat the bolts with some silicone or other aquarium safe sealant

Back
Top Bottom