ISO: Ideas for temporary, cheap/inexpensive tank stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be moving to a new place the first of the month. Currently I have a 38g and a 29g on my kitchen counter. The new place does not have adequate room for either tank. I don't have the money to buy stands right now and I'd like to build them myself anyhow once I'm moved and have the time. However, I do need to place them on something in the mean time. In terms of price I'm thinking milk crates, cable spools, and that kind of cheap/free stuff. If any of you have any creative ideas that won't cost much or take a ton of time to construct I'd very, very much appreciate it.

Wow, read the topic before I clicked and the first thought through my head was cinder blocks.

"Yeah, that's my 1962 Ford Mustang in the front yard on them blocks. You think that's cool, you should see my 38 and 29g tanks on the porch."

Cincer blocks and 2x4's always make good stands. Just make sure you put the two by for with the 2 part on the bottom, and the 4 part on the side for maximum strength.

Good ol cinder blocks and 2x4's... Excellent! Those will make due until I can make my own stands. Thanks you :]

if you put the 2x4's on edge, as roger suggests, I would be sure to secure them somehow to keep them from tipping.

You can use "Sani-Tred" products. They have what is called a "Mini Sample Pack". It will contain everything needed to adhere your 2x4s to the cinder blocks. You can also adhere your cinder blocks to themselves. All you need is some clamps, product, and some time.

Once the product cures, you can't seperate what you glued even with a crow bar, the concrete or wood will break first.

The website is www.sanitred.com

RandyStacyE:

Do you work for Sani-Tred?

I question this because this is the second thread tht i have read from you and they both pitch sani-tred...

I believe Sati's first thing was there was no money to buy stuff...I think a tube of liquid nails will hold the 2X4's and be a lot cheaper... JMO

I do not work for them. I have used many other coatings/paints and they all failed. I just stick with what I know works. I’ve used it many times. I repaired my concrete swimming pool than never held water, waterproofed my basement entirely from the inside, sealed several wood/fiberglass propagation tubs, used it as adhesive for tile, etc… Many odd and end jobs.

I've got a buddy who just made a stand for his 29G using the garf.org stand plans. For 2x4's (structure) and tongue and groove pieces (covering) from the scrap pile at home depot, his whole stand cost him $11 and actually looks pretty nice.

If you want plans/pics, I can probably get them for you if you PM me!

Back
Top Bottom