woodcatl493's First DIY Stand: 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, this is my first DIY fish tank stand, so come along for the ride!
I have all of the measurements ready, just need to go to Home Depot and get the lumber.

First: Location - Not the best for a planted tank. Will be in direct sunlight.

First Picture: (Camera is making the light brighter) It will go under the clock behind the sofa. The tank is my 25 gallon.
Second Picture: Close-up of the tank location. Right next to a plant!
Third picture: Aiming toward the 25 Gallon; Shows the doors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Picture: 25 Gallon to 55 gallon location.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any one you want to do this, here are all the details:
Literally everything you need to know about the wood needed is right there. Total is under $40. Talk about savings!

Attachments

• 1469649143925.jpg
    1469649143925.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 202
Following along!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool! It will be about a week at the most before I start anything, heads up.

Cool! Remember to look for studs instead of dimensional lumber. Far cheaper. Usually about half the price of 2x4s. And don't let them talk you into pressure treated. PT is for outdoor ground contact and overkill for your application. Not to mention you would then need coated screws to deal with the copper content in the chemicals in the wood.

Looking forward to progress on this. I'll be starting my own soon.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I already have all weather screws. I'm going PT because I won't have to coat it after. Here are the screws:
I can use them with treated lumber. Anyways, treated wood here is cheap $4.87 per 8 feet.

Could you describe more in-depth studs and dimensional wood? I don't know what you mean.

Attachments

• 1469656821969.jpg
    1469656821969.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 1469656842787.jpg
    1469656842787.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 187
Studs are just like they sound. Studs in wall's. Usually 3 or 3.5" x 8-9.5'. I want to say I paid 3$ for 110" boards last year when I built a box trailer. 3/4 PT ply for the floor and the rest is studs and osb. Exterior is painted with oil based paint for weather protection.

Are you enclosing the base or is it going to be left open? Remember you're going to be supporting almost 600lbs with this. Make sure the floor will support it. If you don't have a basement, disregard that last part.

Oh and your mom isn't going to like the chemicals from PT lumber leaching into her carpet. So watch your depth. If you can keep it off the rug you're good.

Studs are just like they sound. Studs in wall's. Usually 3 or 3.5" x 8-9.5'. I want to say I paid 3$ for 110" boards last year when I built a box trailer. 3/4 PT ply for the floor and the rest is studs and osb. Exterior is painted with oil based paint for weather protection.

Are you enclosing the base or is it going to be left open? Remember you're going to be supporting almost 600lbs with this. Make sure the floor will support it. If you don't have a basement, disregard that last part.

I have a basement, and since my 25 gallon is doing fine on a desk I don't see why this won't stay fine.

Oh and your mom isn't going to like the chemicals from PT lumber leaching into her carpet. So watch your depth. If you can keep it off the rug you're good.

Oh, it can leach my carpet? Then I'll go with regular lumber. What can I do to waterproof the regular wood? Or is that not needed?

The savings with this wood...
But what will happen to it if I don't waterproof it?

Attachments

• 1469666520193.jpg
    1469666520193.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 186
Oh, it can leach my carpet? Then I'll go with regular lumber. What can I do to waterproof the regular wood? Or is that not needed?

Yeah. PT will rub off, hence why HD makes their employees wear gloves while handling it.

Oh, is this the wood you're talking about? It is cheaper. It was in the section "Dimensional Lumber" on their website.

2 in. x 4 in. x 10 ft. Standard and Better Kiln-Dried Heat Treated Spruce-Pine-Fir Lumber-161659 - The Home Depot

That's the stuff!

Nothing needed on non treated wood. You can polyurethane it, paint it or whatever you want. Just be aware if you paint it, it will need 2 coats due to it will likely just absorb it and look bad.

So I can just leave it naturally looking? Without anything else, even if it gets wet? Great! Because this is one of the cheapest stands I could ever build! Under $20!
I'll probably be adding plywood to the outside. Anything I need to do to that?

Update: I have stuff going on so this probably won't start in at least two weeks. Don't expect anything until August 6th. Sorry for the long wait. I'm just as excited as you guys are.

Look into wooden boat building. Just make sure you get passed the guys who swear you must use west system epoxy. Old school guys like Rob White will tell you paint is fine if its built right. (or would tell you, he passed away 2 years ago.)

Besides, pressure treated is for outdoor ground contact that COULD soak up water and remain wet. Indoors, where it's going to be able to dry out, non treated is fine. Dont waste the money on treated. Besides the exposure to the chemicals. It weighs more, is harder to work with, will warp as it dries out, harder to get a good finish on. When it's needed, the stuff is fantastic. Otherwise it's a waste.

Besides if you stain it to match the rest of the furniture your Parents will appreciate it more.
:D :cool:

And yes. Very excited, I get to start mine in a few weeks. Got to get through this move first!

So it's perfectly fine if I don't do anything with the wood?
Yes or no please. ?

Yep.

If your concerned about it. Stain it or paint it. The outer layers of wood will absorb it and keep anything else from being absorbed. I'll post pics of my trailer after my move that has spent a year outside in the rain, 90+ degree heat (often in the same day), snow, ice and hail. Only PT board on it is the deck. The rest is studs and osb (oriented strand board) that has been painted with oil based paint.

I promise if you build it right, you are golden without the PT stuff.

Back
Top Bottom