Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutah View Post
Studs are just like they sound. Studs in wall's. Usually 3 or 3.5" x 8-9.5'. I want to say I paid 3$ for 110" boards last year when I built a box trailer. 3/4 PT ply for the floor and the rest is studs and osb. Exterior is painted with oil based paint for weather protection.

Are you enclosing the base or is it going to be left open? Remember you're going to be supporting almost 600lbs with this. Make sure the floor will support it. If you don't have a basement, disregard that last part.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I have a basement, and since my 25 gallon is doing fine on a desk I don't see why this won't stay fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutah View Post
Oh and your mom isn't going to like the chemicals from PT lumber leaching into her carpet. So watch your depth. If you can keep it off the rug you're good.

Oh, it can leach my carpet? Then I'll go with regular lumber. What can I do to waterproof the regular wood? Or is that not needed?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, is this the wood you're talking about? It is cheaper. It was in the section "Dimensional Lumber" on their website.

2 in. x 4 in. x 10 ft. Standard and Better Kiln-Dried Heat Treated Spruce-Pine-Fir Lumber-161659 - The Home Depot
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

The savings with this wood...
But what will happen to it if I don't waterproof it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469666520193.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	288280  
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDatInvento View Post
Oh, it can leach my carpet? Then I'll go with regular lumber. What can I do to waterproof the regular wood? Or is that not needed?

Yeah. PT will rub off, hence why HD makes their employees wear gloves while handling it.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDatInvento View Post
Oh, is this the wood you're talking about? It is cheaper. It was in the section "Dimensional Lumber" on their website.

2 in. x 4 in. x 10 ft. Standard and Better Kiln-Dried Heat Treated Spruce-Pine-Fir Lumber-161659 - The Home Depot
That's the stuff!

Nothing needed on non treated wood. You can polyurethane it, paint it or whatever you want. Just be aware if you paint it, it will need 2 coats due to it will likely just absorb it and look bad.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I can just leave it naturally looking? Without anything else, even if it gets wet? Great! Because this is one of the cheapest stands I could ever build! Under $20!
I'll probably be adding plywood to the outside. Anything I need to do to that?

Update: I have stuff going on so this probably won't start in at least two weeks. Don't expect anything until August 6th. Sorry for the long wait. I'm just as excited as you guys are.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Look into wooden boat building. Just make sure you get passed the guys who swear you must use west system epoxy. Old school guys like Rob White will tell you paint is fine if its built right. (or would tell you, he passed away 2 years ago.)

Besides, pressure treated is for outdoor ground contact that COULD soak up water and remain wet. Indoors, where it's going to be able to dry out, non treated is fine. Dont waste the money on treated. Besides the exposure to the chemicals. It weighs more, is harder to work with, will warp as it dries out, harder to get a good finish on. When it's needed, the stuff is fantastic. Otherwise it's a waste.

Besides if you stain it to match the rest of the furniture your Parents will appreciate it more.

And yes. Very excited, I get to start mine in a few weeks. Got to get through this move first!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

So it's perfectly fine if I don't do anything with the wood?
Yes or no please. 😃

Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep.

If your concerned about it. Stain it or paint it. The outer layers of wood will absorb it and keep anything else from being absorbed. I'll post pics of my trailer after my move that has spent a year outside in the rain, 90+ degree heat (often in the same day), snow, ice and hail. Only PT board on it is the deck. The rest is studs and osb (oriented strand board) that has been painted with oil based paint.

I promise if you build it right, you are golden without the PT stuff.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, aquarium, aquarium stand, diy, diy stand, gallon, plant, planted, planted aquarium, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com