just finished a concrete back ground for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digital_cichlid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i know that this is a very small tank, but i had it laying around, had space on my computer desk, had a power head and filter laying about, and i was really wanting to try out the foam and concrete background :D

Just started out with pink foam from HD and silicone.

i'm using a penguin bio-wheel filter for a 55 gallon. the intake is hidden behind the background, but the return water goes out in front of it. i am also using a penguin 550 powerhead thats hidden and hase a sponge filter on it, the outlet water is directed through a 1/2 clear tube that is directed across the substrate to keep debris from settling on the bottom, i don't have an undergravel because i did't think that it would be very efficient.

i just cut the very basic shapes, and then used a propane torch to do all the shaping.

that is pretty cool!!! you made this out of concrete?

Im guessing this is for a FW tank?

can i see a pic with it in the tank?

alright, that one was getting long. her's the finished project. it's my first time and wanted to test myself before i start on my 37 gallon tall that i am moving my jack dempsey and jewel into. i think that i learned a few things in the process and am very thankful to Sulla. i had seen a few articles before but after reading his post, i decided that i would finally try it. It might not look the best, but remember that it is just a 10 gallon tank.

i used a mix of quickcrete wallcrete and acrylic fortifier and on the last 2 coats i added cement color, all found at HD. When i filled it and checked it the following day the ph was only 8.5. i did a 50% water change, then another the following day. ph never rose above 8.5 and is now at 8.0. only cured for 2 days.up for a week and a half now and everything is going great.

i just threw in my albino zebra and a yellow lab that were in my 35 gallon hex cichlid mixed tank. they were the smallest and it was overstocked any way.

when i first put them in they seemed like they missed the 35 gallon, but soon found the caves and hid for a day. that's when i put in the drift wood because i wanted to see them a bit more. now they come out and sit in the shade.

let me know what you think... and thanx again go out to sulla.

I think it looks great! I've never been a big fan of store bought backgrounds or just painting the back with black spraypaint, which I've done several times early on. A nice touch you added to the tank, nice goin'.

does anyone have any ideas as to what to put in here? I'm thinking about either a pair of p. demasoni, or a pair of kribensis...anyone have any ideas...only a ten so must be dwarf cichlids, is it possible to have more than 2 in it?

I personally think that a pair of Kribensis is too big for the 10g. They actually need a lot of room to move around in.

What about some shell dwelling cichlids (Neolamprologus multifasciatus)?

algae has really taken off...left lights on for about 4 days straight to get it to really start. lots of brown, but there is some green too. my green severum really likes it.my 20 gallon is in the process of getting done. you can find it in the DIY forum.
hopefully the algae will cover the rest of the back ground in a week or 2. is there any way to get rid of the brown algae and keep the green?

would a pair of white or black calvus fit in this tank? (10 gal)

as soon as i get my 20 gal done, i will be putting my jack dempsey and my severum in there...they are just in the 10 gal for "storage" had to take them out of my 35 gal hex when i turned it into a nano reef salt tank. had a bunch more cichlids, had to sell them all. but my dempsey is my favorite, had him from the beginning of my fish experience, about 4 months now, and he was only about 1" long. now he's about 4" hope fully he'll get a lot bigger

i started out with just a 20 gal long that was given to me with about 12 large convicts and sludge water. sold them off, got a nicer filter(aquaclear 300) and went and got "jack" now i'm upto a 35 gal hex salt, 37 gal cichlid, 20 gal cichlid, 10 gal cichlid and soon a 70 gal salt.
guess i got the "bug"

I love it when people get creative with their tanks and really turn them into a nice focal point. (y)

I think your backround came out excellent! Especially for your first!!

Good luck and I cant wait to make my first!
I'm waiting till I get a 90gal+ though...

That should be a FUN project 8O

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom