Kalkwasser dosing idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I was playing around with a powerhead today and had an idea. What if you had an air-valve on the tube and then the other end in the kalk? Wouldn't that evenly disperse the kalk into the stream of the pump? It would be hard to meter, but as long as you did as little as you thought was good.. I think it would be safe and effective.

What do you all think?

Okay, so I was playing around with a powerhead today and had an idea. What if you had an air-valve on the tube and then the other end in the kalk? Wouldn't that evenly disperse the kalk into the stream of the pump? It would be hard to meter, but as long as you did as little as you thought was good.. I think it would be safe and effective.
I think that you would end up overdosing your tank.. FWIW get an IV line and mount it an inch or so up from the bottom you want it to be a VERY slow drip.. I have hear if you can count the drips its slow enough.. If you having it going to fast it will have the complete opposite effect..

HTH<
James

Hmm

Yeah, it was just an idea. I do have an IV setup from when my cat was sick (long sad story). So, that is probably the best bet.. But, I was thinking this would be cooler because you wouldn't need the kalk mixture hung above the tank and looking all tacky. The valve would meter the kalk. If you had it BARELY open, it wouldn't overdose.. Maybe just fill a clear tube and watch it barely move. That would be effective. As long as nobody moved the valve.. all would be good.

I would always err on the side of too little rather than too much anyways.

You could set up an auto doser with a float valve and a resevoir higher than you sump, gravity fed and hassle free ;)

Back
Top Bottom