Kreg Jig bit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

Dunno where else to ask this. I'm building a new stand for my new tank, and bought this thing called a kreg jig. You can see what I bought here: Amazon.com: Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System: Home Improvement

The issue I have is the screws have a hex head, and the bit this jig came with has a square head.

Where can I get a 6" bit that has a hex head? I tried sears, advance auto parts, and lowes; none of them have it.

I have some hex head bits, but the extenders I have are too fat to fit into the pocket holes the kreg makes.

Any help/guidance/ideas please?

I myself didn't use any of the supplied screws. You really don't have to if you don't want but there is something you need to keep in mind.

The screws supplied with the Kregg have a flat head up to the screw part. Most wood screws and drywall screws have a cone head to help it sit in flush. If you use a screw with the conic head you need to make sure you don't over-tighten because you can split the wood easier.

Re-reading this it sounds confusing but I can't figure out how to state it any different...

I myself didn't use any of the supplied screws. You really don't have to if you don't want but there is something you need to keep in mind.

The screws supplied with the Kregg have a flat head up to the screw part. Most wood screws and drywall screws have a cone head to help it sit in flush. If you use a screw with the conic head you need to make sure you don't over-tighten because you can split the wood easier.

Re-reading this it sounds confusing but I can't figure out how to state it any different...

Thats my issue. I'm not using the screws supplied with the Kreg; I'm using my own. That said, my own screws have the star or hex heads, not the square one like the kit has.

I need to find a bit that will allow me to tighten down the screws;

Well... the solution to that is to go buy different screws if you are using your own anyway! :)

Personally I've never looked for a long star headed screw bit. The only star bit I have is the short 1" long or so version that fits in a multi-screw and I bought it in a kit that had 30 other heads.

I was using the normal Phillips headed screws as I did have a 6" screw bit for those.

I use a bit adapter on my drill with no problems using the kreg jointer.

actually i think i redrill at 7/16's though afterwards... its been while since ive used it htough and not all that often

He already said the holes too small for an extension...

Yep. I tried various extensions, and the thickness of the extension doesn't go down into the hole =/

Hard to believe this isn't a simple tool thats readily available but its one of those things like buying a pack of hot dogs to match a pack of hot dog buns I guess. Never evens out.

At any rate, I'm just going to use square headed screws. The only reason I've been stuck on the star screws is because the lifetime guarantee decking screws are star headed, and I want to build the stand sturdy with good weather resistant screws and stained/cured wood because its gonna get wet often of course under the fish tank.

People still use Philips screws? They have to be the most useless head for a screw (other than drywall), followed closely by the slot. We have used the square Robertson drivers up here for more than 50 years, since it was a Canadian patent. You can always drive them all the way and remove them if you have to.
Regardless, the pocket holes are meant to be used with a screw that has a flat base on the head. Using a flat head or similar undermines the integrity of the joint.

I find phillips II, to be quite an awesome bit rusted or not never once had a problem with stripping or. Slippage.. Also your "slot" is a standard and your flat base is called a panhead. It helps to know what you are talking about before you bash anothers choice...

Some flat bases are panheads and others aren't. Some are socket heads and some button heads, as well as hexheads. I will stand by the comments about the Philips. It is crap compared to a Robertson (or a Torx). I think having worked with all types of fasteners for more than 30 years, and maintained and repaired power tools in the auto industry, I will tell you that no fastener that requires any amount of torque applied to it will ever be a Philips head. Perhaps you enjoy doing things the hard way, but I prefer the smart way, which also happens to be easier.

Back
Top Bottom