Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Question Krylon spray paint

Ive used Krylon Fusion spray paint because so many have said it is safe to use in aquariums. However, the paint doesn't seem to hold up too well underwater for any length of time. After a few months, the paint is flaking off. Has anyone ever used Kryon's clear coat? Krylon: Products: Crystal Clear Acrylic
Whatever the product, I am in the process of trying to finding some type of "clear coat" to put over the painted decorations. Another option is marine epoxy, but Im having trouble finding a manufacturer that will tell me that their product is safe to use with fish.

bry1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't help with the clear coat as I have no experience there. But I did hear a fast mention of some sort of sealer being used on that new show on Animal Planet called "Tanked". But no brand name was mentioned. Maybe if you did some reading on that show, or emailed that company directly, they could tell you what they used.

Re: the use of Krylon Fusion...I use it in both my tank and in my ponds. I have discovered that you MUST let it dry for at least 5 days before it goes in the water...a week is better. Otherwise it will flake. Letting it dry for any less time than that will not go well in the long run.

(I am strictly freshwater...not sure how well it works in salt...)
glassbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com