large tank placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burf420

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I'm starting the process of building a plywood aquarium one question i have its do i need to worry about how our where its placed on the studs in the floor? Its going to be at less 220 gallons would it have to go across studs our could it go like with them if its sitting on like two ?

After you get over 150 gallons you really wanna run them across and on a load bearing wall. Bracing under the floor may be needed as well depending on the age of the house.

Ok what is a load bearing wall. I'm probably going to put it in the basement then. Concrete floors. Anything special i need to know there?

Load bearing walls will be ones that have support all the way to the foundation like usually the perimeter of the house. On the concrete floor just make sure your tank is level. Most basements will be paved with a slope for drain off.

Ha ha yeah my basement has all sorts of little dips but thank you! So the tank would have to be on a load bearing and across the beams

Back
Top Bottom