LARGE tank reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys I know there is a sticky on this topic, but the tank I need to reseal is 240 gallons. Attached is a pic of what the seals look like now. And this tank has been empty a number of months now according to the previous owner. They said it holds water but I haven't tested the whole thing yet because the seals almost certainly need to be replaced since silicone doesn't do well after it's been wet and then dried out....so! Is there anything special I should know about doing a tank this big? I don't want to take the glass all apart, just the inner exposed silicone....tips, advice...all welcome!! Also, it looks like originally black silicone was used, and someone used clear over it later... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433877685.019048.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433877900.515805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433877723.236016.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433877723.236016.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 95
I plan on following basically what the sticky said (and what I've seen on videos) but use rtv 108 silicone instead...

Just use a blade to remove all the inside silicone and then some steel wool or perhaps some extremely fine sand paper to remove any residual caulk, taking care not to scratch the viewable part of the glass. I just did this on my 300 gallon. It worked out just fine.

Just use a blade to remove all the inside silicone and then some steel wool or perhaps some extremely fine sand paper to remove any residual caulk, taking care not to scratch the viewable part of the glass. I just did this on my 300 gallon. It worked out just fine.

Thanks for the input! What kind of silicone did you use to reseal? I haven't started yet, but some people have suggested using rtv108 and some just regular GE 100%. Both have no additives, but the 108 is also an adhesive they use to seal larger tanks. But as I'm not taking the panes apart, will regular silicone do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom