Lava rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have 2 75gal cichlid tanks and I have lace rock in 1 but I need more the lace rock was spendy and looks a lot like lava rock which is common In my area (yay for Yellowstone) I just piced up a lot of lava rock and starting to cure it. Do anyone know the right way to cure Rock for aquariums?

I've heard that what dose the vinegar do. What dose it react to I'm sure it would be somewhat of a trace element but anyone know which one or is it do to biological waste I'm sure it works but wanting to know why/how and I'm sure there's more to it then that. But thank you for the info

Only200 said:
I've heard that what dose the vinegar do. What dose it react to I'm sure it would be somewhat of a trace element but anyone know which one or is it do to biological waste I'm sure it works but wanting to know why/how and I'm sure there's more to it then that. But thank you for the info

vinegar is an acid, when you pour vinegar on a rock it will cause it to react with the carbonates in the rock causing the rock to literally dissolve. The acid content of the vinegar dissolves the carbonates by breaking down the parts that make up the rock. not a quick process to dissolve a whole rock though. I'm sure there is more to that but its been years since I've been in science class lol. Lava rock is ok to use in your tank just soak it and leave it in the sun as suggested, I've read many conflicting stories on lava rock so I couldn't tell you if boiling the rock will work or not.

Thank you I've scrubbed it and soaked it over note today I'm going to scub rinse then bake in the sun thank you again for helping me with this

Do not boil lava rock as pockets of air can explode!!!! Dont want any injuries. :s

Ive heard some bad story's from exploding air pockets, can dig lumps out your face

Does lava rock bought from a pet store need to be baked in the sun too? Or just rinced? Just curious.

In theory the lava from your LFS should be fine. It wouldn't hurt it to scrub and bake in the sun you never know who has handled it and what they may have had on thier hands. I always like err on the side of caution. As for boiling or baking lava rock in the oven or something like that DO NOT DO IT. A friend of mine built a nice barbecue with lave on the outside of it and when it heated it literally exploded. Luckily no major injuries.

Back
Top Bottom