Lava Rock Volcano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanna try to make something that looks similar to a volcano for the centerpiece in my new tank to be. I want it to be about 15" high and have a diameter of around 6". I want a hole in the top since I'm putting an under-gravel air pump and a red LED light in the middle of it, and maybe some holes here and there for the fish to travel trough. I was considering buying a bunch of lava rock, cutting pieces up, and attaching them together with silicone. Does this sound like a plausible idea, or does everyone think this would be near to impossible? If anyone can think of a rock that's much easier to sculpt, please let me know.

That sounds like it'd work. It'd be easier than carving foam.

I've thought of doing something similar.. but with black pebbles.. i was thinking of finding a plastic funnel to use in the middle.. or else you would likely have bubbles sneaking out little gaps.. unless you used alot of silicone lol. or do you want bubbles coming out in different places? And pretty much just covering the thing with silicone and then layering the pebbles.. mine was gonna be for a 10gallon tank.

i never thought of making holes for the fish to go through.. that would be neat! Maybe the plastic part of a turkey baster.. would be better.. would be taller then a funnel.. that would give you more room to put little tunnels for fish to go through.. of course you could just run an airline through the center.. but i was thinking it would be easier if you had something solid to build off of.

Hmm idk. I picked up a Hydor Ario 3 turbo air pump, it's actually pretty neat since it can be buried under the gravel. I mean, I dont care if a few bubbles get out the side, but I'm hoping that the majority of them go up through the opening in the top, it's just a matter of centering It and whatnot.

volcano deco

I made one with lava rock and I put a underwater led light and also a rubber bubble air stone. I siliconed both unto a clear glass plate and then started building my rocks from there unto the plate . I like it! I dont have pic of it as I dont have a camera Give it a try . I left a few openings and my fish swim in and out of it

You can do that and it would look awesome. I'm looking forward to the pics.

The only thing I would make sure of is that it isnt the only type of rock in the tank if you have fish with soft mouths that would graze or rest on it. Also make sure there is plenty of room for the other fish to swim around so they wont get scratched or cut. The lava rock has so many sharp edges that your fish could easily hurt themselves.

Other than that, (y).

I like the funnel idea, they make some big ones if you look around for them. Spray paint it with Krylon Fusion (flat black or flat brown) and let it dry for a week. Then glue on the rocks. Use as little silicone as possible, because it will turn white once it has been underwater for a day or two. Wierd, but true, personal experience. Later I discovered a trick...keep a bowl of brown or black sand nearby, and sprinkle the sand over the exposed silicone before it dries. The sand will stick, and will help the silicone to not show up quite so much.

You can do that and it would look awesome. I'm looking forward to the pics.

The only thing I would make sure of is that it isnt the only type of rock in the tank if you have fish with soft mouths that would graze or rest on it. Also make sure there is plenty of room for the other fish to swim around so they wont get scratched or cut. The lava rock has so many sharp edges that your fish could easily hurt themselves.

Other than that, (y).

Duly noted. I didn't think of that. i'll have to get some more rounded rocks for some caves on the two sides of the tank, since i want to put this volcano in the dead center. It's part of my whole new setup: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/my-new-tank-design-plans-ideas-and-input-please-169794.html . Pictures will be coming as soon as i start work on it, i'm in the process of getting all the materials together.

Back
Top Bottom