*LEAKIN TANK* Exp. anyone? Underwater glue??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 65gal has sprung a LEAK!! A new tank is NOT an option on my budget. I've looked online (used) and new, both ways are more money than I have right now. I was looking at breaking it down, putting the fish in a garbage can and resealing the tank. (I have done this with different tanks already) until I saw under water aquarium glue, does anyone have any experience using this product? If so, please tell me how it went for you, what size tank you did? what stock you had? Any and all details PLEASE I'm in a bit if a panic here.

Sounds to good to be true not sure if its for resealing a tank can you give us a link??? IMO I would breaker her down a reseal it sucks but better safe than sorry.

I don't have a link its what the guy at the pet store recommended when I called there I live 2hours away from any stores and want to know if it'll be worth the drive to get it or not?

Depends, where is the leak? A joint or a crack somewhere on one of the sides, because either way its repairable. As for underwater glue, I've never heard of it, a link would be helpful. Also, with or without the that glue you said about, I'd tear down and do the repairs the traditional way.

It's on the seam bottom corner under the plastic rim I'm sorry I don't have a link i haven't even seen the product the guy at lfs said its what they use.

I just need it to hold until I can scrape up enough money for a new tank :-(

Could you upload a picture?

If its leaking a lot then I would drain it but if its small then personally I would get the underwater one

Small leak in the seam. I took the tank down tonight my fish are sleeping the night (or two maybe three) in a garbage can. I didn't make the drive to the pet store they closed too early for me to have gotten there in time. Home Depot on the other hand was still open so I picked up some silicone. Looks like I'm redoing the seams tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for the quick responses (both threads and pm's) most appreciated :)

LOL! I didn't know tanks lasted that long!

Apparently they don't ;-)
Today I'm removing the old silicone .. Feel like I've done this a few times already lol! Not on this tank, although judging from the mess I'm in I probably should've lol!
My goal is to have all the old seams off and have it nice and clean by lunch. Hopefully not too many breaks will be needed to get the blood back in my arms/head. Had to get a tall tank didn't I!? Lol!

Yep it is. Tonight I wait..tomorrow too and then the water test hopefully all goes well. It sucks not being able to see my fish. A big green Rubbermaid garbage can is not optimal for viewing :-( No floaters and plenty of surface action when feeding so I'm thinking they're all good.

they sell underwater marine epoxy comes in a syringe its what they use to seal cracks on boats home depot has it
opps guess its a bit late
see everyones in a garbage can already
it's like $12. a tube

they sell underwater marine epoxy comes in a syringe its what they use to seal cracks on boats home depot has it
opps guess its a bit late
see everyones in a garbage can already
it's like $12. a tube

Lol! Thanks anyway. Had no choice I was losing water too fast I asked at Home Depot but they didn't know much. I had to wander to find the silicone myself.

Back
Top Bottom