Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

LED Lighting

Hey everyone! I am in the process of acquiring the equipment I need to set up a 220 gallon FOWLR aquarium and due to the high initial setup cost I have been considering some DIY projects. I want to construct some type of LED lighting system to cut back on heat and electric cost but wanted to run it by you guys first. I know that it may sound a bit silly at first, but I have given this a lot of thought and really think it could work…I want to use LED Christmas lights!

What I want to do is get a sheet of pegboard and cut it to the size of the tank, in my case 72” x 24”. I would then surface one side (the side facing down on the tank) with some kind of reflective tape or even use aluminum foil and some spray adhesive. I then want to alternate two strands of pure white wide angle LED Christmas lights with a stand of blue wide angle LED Christmas lights in the middle, punching the LEDs through the holes in the pegboard and reflective surface from the top. Those Christmas LEDs are pretty bright, and I think with three strands, all the lights pointed down, and the reflective back would work out fine. I have even gone as far as thinking about hooking up all three strands to a different timer so that all three can be on during the day, then one will turn off around sunset, followed by the other leaving only the blue strand on till about midnight…then doing the opposite to simulate the sun rising.

Anyways, I am sure that most of you are much more experienced with aquariums than I, and I am sure my idea has flaws. I would love to hear what you all have to say.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA. you can use Christmas tree led light strings, but they would only be mood lights since Xmas tree lights are not very strong. If you have no intentions of any type of corals except the ones that do not use lights to supplement their food source it would be okay. It may look bright to the human eye but it really is not strong enough to grow corals...
PS: please take your computer keyboard off "Cap Lock" We know you are excited but no need to yell around here.lol

Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am not sure what LED christmas lights cost now, last time I saw them they were pretty high. another idea you might want to play around with are three of these: 225 Blue + WHITE LED Aquarium & Plant Grow Light Panel - eBay (item 390181135013 end time Apr-13-10 00:34:06 PDT) I think they would work for a FOWLR.

However, these will not grow corals I am pretty sure (sorry bolded it so you were sure to see it). They are not a high enough intensity, could be wrong though.

I have never used them so I am not sure how bright they are, but I think they would be brighter than 3 strands of Christmas lights.

Just another idea to think about.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

These are the lights I am considering using:

2 strands of these
SET OF 50 LED C6 STRAWBERRY PURE WHITE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS - eBay (item 180443439914 end time May-08-10 01:02:22 PDT)

and 1 strand of these
50 Blue Westinghouse Conical LED Christmas String Light - eBay (item 390071763246 end time Apr-16-10 11:38:47 PDT)

Right now, I am not planning on getting into coral, although I am sure once I get everthing going I may change my mind.

As for the "Caps Locks", I'm not sure what your talking about...everything appears to be just fine on my screen.

Thanks for the comments so far!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Bad, Just bold printing......
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a site that I buy all my leds off of Unique Leds High Quality hard to find LED and LED products with fare shipping and everyday low pricing

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness.
Lowryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com