LED Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerenceH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I got my new tank I decided I wanted to do some sort of LED lighting. After lot of research I noticed that no one had done it with a basic socket and retro LED. It seems to be a lot for compact fluorescent but nothing for LED. I got 25 sockets and 15 dimmable LED's on ebay for $50 shipped. Here is my attempt at LEDs.

GU10 socket and LED bulb

Basic Layout

Standard extension cord, get extras they will be needed to string lights.

Remove female (socket) from the cord.

After socket is removed strip wire and attach socket with wire nut.

When running lights in a string add additional wire so that you can go to next light.

The socket has small holes for screws that I drilled right into the hood.

Test test test. I had one faulty wire thought I was going to blow up my house.

The lights are working, now working on sunrise sunset dimmer. The tank is dry but will take picture of it tonight when it is dark.

I've thought of doing something like this when I build my canopy. I'd go with a slightly different setup as mine would be square, and a slightly different fashion of sockets (out of personal preference).

I would like to know how this effects your heating after a few hours of running. Please reply with that information if you could.

I've thought of doing something like this when I build my canopy. I'd go with a slightly different setup as mine would be square, and a slightly different fashion of sockets (out of personal preference).

I would like to know how this effects your heating after a few hours of running. Please reply with that information if you could.

I chose the sockets because of my height restrictions. If I were to do it again I would make a few changes myself. I would make the wiring a lot cleaner.

I have had them running for a hours now and there is no heat transfer to the tank. I can actually touch the bulb itself. It is slightly warm but that is it.

Well that's a good note about the heat. I might go with those then, I'll be building a custom canopy, so you won't be able to see that.

I'll be making a rectangle box of wood (minus the bottom of course) and they will be hidden within the rectangle. I was thinking of putting acrylic or plexiglass at the bottom and making an entryway through the front of the rectangle.

I can picture it :p hopefully you can too. This canopy/stand project won't be started for another month or so, so I get a lot of time to plan it.

The canopy looks good. what is the color temp of the LED's that you got? Are you growing any live plants in the tank?
A picture of it running would be grand!

Is this for FW or SW? I've been following similar builds for a while now.

Also, how deep is your tank? I've heard these can be great for up to 55g tanks, but deeper tanks take a big hit with the light penetration.

Is this for FW or SW? I've been following similar builds for a while now.

Also, how deep is your tank? I've heard these can be great for up to 55g tanks, but deeper tanks take a big hit with the light penetration.

Which light bulb(s) did you eventually use... I'm just curious.

I haven't gone to LED. I'm still using T5HO bulbs. I've been following the threads but since all them them I've seen pretty much said they wouldn't work for deeper tanks I haven't gotten any.

I haven't gone to LED. I'm still using T5HO bulbs. I've been following the threads but since all them them I've seen pretty much said they wouldn't work for deeper tanks I haven't gotten any.

Ahh, well that depends on the tank your going to use. If your using T5HO's you should be pretty well off. Why are you wanting to switch, the T5's have very nice output, especially CoraLife bulbs.

I still want to go to LED at some point because it doesn't produce heat and you don't have to worry about changing the bulbs out every 6-12 months.

Sorry for the delayed response I have family in town and been constantly on the move.

This is bulb I am using. GU10 20 LED WHITE Light Bulb Lamp 110v DIMMABLE 10 OFF | eBay

I do not have plans for plants just yet. I may put some moss or something but other than that no plans for plants. It is a freshwater tank Tanganyikans. I am not sure on the depth of tank, I will measure later and get back to you.

They give off no heat at all... I ran them all day on a dry tank with no noticeable change in temperature.

Back
Top Bottom