LED Strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, just recently purchased some 5050 RGB 4800k led strip lights 5m off ebay. I am just waiting for my friend to finish my new lid. I plan on installing these in the hood. I have a 55g freshwater, no live plants-possibly in the future..Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or wants to offer any advice on installation. I have a plan for installation but would like advice from anyone who has used these...Thanks

Did you get these in? I'm curious how you did it. Pics?
Hi FFEMT58, i just uploaded all the pictures for my LED's.. They're in my album(55g latest). One of my mates built the new hood and another mate painted it!!. I don't have any sparky mates so i had to do that part myself!!. The pictures don't really do it justice as it is alot brighter in person..It was handy enough to install, took a bit of time though. I had LED strip connectors i bought on ebay, but i found it better to solder the wires individually. I know the install doesn't look the prettiest(my diy skills are fairly basic!!) but it's all hidden and can't be seen...If you have any more questions let me know...Ian

Wow that looks amazing. If you don't mind I might talk to you soon for some tips as I will be going the same route you did for lighting.

Wow that looks amazing. If you don't mind I might talk to you soon for some tips as I will be going the same route you did for lighting.
Yeah no problem. Yeah they work for me, very cheap to buy(tons of sellers on ebay), virtually no heat, very little power(i think it's about 8w) and i think there life span is about 50,000hrs!!. Just pm me whenever and i'll gladly help you if i can...
PS..I'm not sure if they'll work for a planted tank, i have plastic plants, but they give out as much light, if not more than before..I had 2x35watt T8's....Ian

Yea I won't be doing a planted tank. What length strips did you use? You have a link of something similar on eBay?

Hey Ian how does that cover fit on the tank? Does it just sit on the top?

Hey Ian how does that cover fit on the tank? Does it just sit on the top?
Hi billsey420, yeah it just sits on the glass with plactic type blocks??, sorry i'm not sure of their proper name. If ya look closely at the corner pic below you'll see what i mean!!. There only a few cents each, they screw in and come in many sizes. You could use pieces of timber either. They just rest on top of the glass. The wood is moisture treated MDF(not sure if it's called something else in the US). The picture below is before my mate painted it. It's basically sheets of paper, sawdust, glue layered together but it's very strong..It's also very cheap, it cost about 15euro($20) for the wood, 5Euro for the rest-hinges, handle....

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom