LEDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can build LED fixtures from LED (something like the kits being sold by rapidLED). If you are talking about building individual pucks, I'm sure it can be done but that is WAY over my knowledge on how-to.

Yes, it can and has been done. However, be aware of what you are purchasing because not all LED's are the same. Plus they require a specific way to power and wire them together.

LED's are Light Emitting Diodes. They run on a DC current. If wired up incorrectly they will either not work, work poorly or they could self destruct. You would have to be sure that the LED's put out the correct light amount and proper spectrum, that you have a sufficient quantity to complete the project and that you have a power source capable of handling the load. There is also the issue of having to calculate and add resistors to the circuits to control current and to drop the voltage to the correct level if necessary. What I mean is, many LED's run on anywhere from 3 to 5 volts DC. If your power source puts out 12 volts, you would have to find out what resistors you would need to drop the voltage down enough to protect your diodes. A 5 volt power source could give you the correct voltage, but may not handle the current requirements. The requirements all depend on what you decide to use for your lights. Start with the LED's specifications and build from there. Note that most of the LED's people use for aquariums are kind of expensive.

As you can see it can get a little complicated, but it CAN be done. You may be able to do some research and find some projects that others have done to give you a head start.

Good luck!

it would be best to just buy the LED strips... gut out a fluorescent fixture and adheise the LED strips inside... there are some that come with an adheive already on them and they can also be daisy chained. they do come in a wide assortment of colors too, but white and blue are what is needed.

if you are interested in making a led setup, it is really not as difficult as you may think, if you have some basic soldering skills. and it can be better than buying a fixture.

I bought 3 sets off of eBay plugged them into a power strip and put a corner protector over it so it doesn't shine up.

I just made a LED moonlight, its amazing. I think for things like that its great to DIY. But if you're trying for a full fixture of LED's, I would just but a premade fixture without any question. My moonlight is 3 blue LED's wired in series over a 20H, its perfect. Extremely easy to do if you can solder, or at least willing to learn. If you plan to DIY you can PM me if you have any questions, hopefully I could help you a little, its definitely a learning experience.

I'd also suggest building your own. Basically what you need are some high powered leds, a heat sink, DC power supply, and some way to attach the leds to the heat sink.

Here is what I used:
40B
24x Cree Q2 WC bin led's
2x Meanwell eln-60-24 power supplies
24x Berquist Thermal Pad
1x aluminum plate (Mcmaster)
2x 120mm Fan
5v and 12v AC/DC adapter (from random appliances)
1x polycarbonate splash guard
1x 12 terminal junction
1x desk fan (to cool the power supplies for now)
1x ABS electronics housing

10G:
6x Cree Q2 WC bin led's
6x Berquist Thermal Pad
1x Thompson power supply (from nanotuners before they closed)
1x potentiometer
1x aluminum plate
1x 120mm fan
1x ABS electronics housing.

random rivets, tape, etc

Back
Top Bottom