Light fixture cooling fans....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of pulling the cover off my Odyssea 260W fixtures and putting either 2 large or 4 medium sized holes in it and putting on some cool looking PC cooling fans. But what I'm wondering is can I use the same wires that the current fans are using? Will it be enough juice for larger fans, or do I need to do something else? I'd like to put the fans in the top of the fixture, and disconnect the noisy ones that are in the end, which some of the fans are no longer working. They don't spin.

I would tend to think the fans at the ends are designed specifically to be more effecient on removing the heat. If you put them in the top, this may effect the heat removal (plus possibly overheating the wire insulation...). As for larger fans, I THINK you would have to check what kind of wattage/amperage/volts are already built it.....I think you should wait for a more experienced person for advice, since I am not an electrician....these are just my thoughts....

Actually, the fans in the Odysseas are very poorly designed, and would have better cooling with the fans in the top. And the fans can't be replaced either, from what I hear. I have 1 fixture where the fans don't turn at all.

Lonewolfblue said:
I have 1 fixture where the fans don't turn at all.
Sounds like the ball berings are worn out or stuck. Can you stick something in there to try to get them moving again?

If you need a replacement, a PC case fan should work best. I'm pretty sure that's what they use...only they use cheapies. Drop a Sunon fan in there and you'll be much happier.

What is the voltage of the fans already in there? PC fans run on 12 volts DC.

What you need to do is to pull out the old fans to look for any markings on V & Amps. Then all you need to do is replace with appropriate fans.

Failing that, you can trace the wire back to its power supply. If there is a transformer, you should be able to read the V & AC or DC ratings. If the wires are connected directly to the power outlet, then you are looking at 110/120V AC (note that if more than one fan is connected in series (rather than parallel), then you will need to divide 120 by the number of fans in series).

If you are experienced in electricity, you can measure the output with a voltmeter on the live wire. WARNING: you can electrocute yourself if you don't know what you are doing running you meter on live circuits (esp. with CF ballasts around, you can be dealing with way more than 110V AC)!!!!!

roka64 said:
Lonewolfblue said:
I have 1 fixture where the fans don't turn at all.
Sounds like the ball berings are worn out or stuck. Can you stick something in there to try to get them moving again?

Yes, I did. They spin freely when you turn them, but it's like they don't have enough power to turn the fan. You can spin them with a tooth pick, but then they just slow down and stop.

maxwell1295 said:
If you need a replacement, a PC case fan should work best. I'm pretty sure that's what they use...only they use cheapies. Drop a Sunon fan in there and you'll be much happier.

The fans are pretty small, and is 2 fans in a single unit. From what I heard from other people, there is no replacements, and PC fans are too big to fit in there. But I'm going to look around at different places for fans that I think might work.

tropicalfish said:
What is the voltage of the fans already in there? PC fans run on 12 volts DC.
Not sure. I haven't opened any units yet.

jsoong said:
What you need to do is to pull out the old fans to look for any markings on V & Amps. Then all you need to do is replace with appropriate fans.

Failing that, you can trace the wire back to its power supply. If there is a transformer, you should be able to read the V & AC or DC ratings. If the wires are connected directly to the power outlet, then you are looking at 110/120V AC (note that if more than one fan is connected in series (rather than parallel), then you will need to divide 120 by the number of fans in series).

If you are experienced in electricity, you can measure the output with a voltmeter on the live wire. WARNING: you can electrocute yourself if you don't know what you are doing running you meter on live circuits (esp. with CF ballasts around, you can be dealing with way more than 110V AC)!!!!!
First I'm going to remove the fans to see what theratings are. When I was in the Navy, I went through Bassic Electricity and Electronics school, but that was many years ago. So I do understand working with electricity. Just kind of rusty, lol. I worked in Weapons Department on a particular weapon system, so I've had my share of working with all the types of test equip. :) But that was my main reason for posting, I'm a bit rusty, lol.

then its a 40 mm fan. Make sure that the CFM is the same (I think its CFM).. you want it to move the same amount of air or more...

I'd be more concerned about the noise level (dBA) than the air movement. It really doesn't take much to move air through the fixture.

Back
Top Bottom