light for hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to upgrade the lights in my hood. I have a friend that will wire everthing for me. He gets his electric supplies locally. Is there a difference between VHO bulbs and blast. you would buy at an electric supply and ones you would buy from an aquarium dealer? Can you use either?

Jeanett

You can use the ballasts that your friend can get from the electical supply house. Be sure to use the correct ballast for the size/type of bulb you have. Your electrician friend will know which one to get. You will want to get bulbs made specifically for fish tanks unless you are doing a FW planted tank. Most of the commercially available general purpose bulbs are too far in the red end of the spectrum. What kind of tank are you considering?

I have a reef tank. 75 gal. It has been set up for about 8 months. The lights on it now are 4 45 watt. All I have had up until now are fish and lr. I want to get some corals so I need to up grade. Should the end caps be the same for standard bulbs as thoughs for the aquarium ones?

Back
Top Bottom