Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Light vent

Has anyone ever created a vent system for their lights? I bought a 36inch 2x96 power compact setup not realizing it would run so very hot. I am thinking of running some black vacuum cleaner hose from each end of the light to my garage(through the floor) which remains cool during all times of the year. The room I put my tank in has a tendency get warm in the summer months. Another feature I would add is putting the fan down in the opening in the garage so I would hear less noise. I'm thinking I could drill a hole at either end of the light on the back instead of running the hose off the ends of the light were the holes are now.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

-Maximo

Old 07-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Could an Admin please move this to the DIYer forum.. I got gung ho about posting and forgot to goto the right forum.

Thanks,

-Maximo

Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Many people vent their canopies. Most will install 120MM fans in the sides either blowing in or out (so many debates on whats better). Folks will also have an air gap between the reflector and the top of the canopy so air can flow between them. Installing vents in the top will allow hot air to naturally vent out aswell. Given the principle of hot air rising and cold air falling I dont know how effecent running hose down to a basement would be unless you put a fan in the basement blowing cool air into the canopy.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
haha...i was just about to ask what the pros and cons are of blowing in or out. maybe two in and two out? i'm going to buying a few of the vantec stealth 92mm fans for my canopy. i've heard really good things about them...very quiet and they move a lot of air for the size.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
My homemade hanging fixture is cooled as follows. There is @ 1/2" gap between reflector and the top of the hood. I cut vents into the top of the hood so hot air can escape. I installed a fan in both ends of the hood, one blows in the other blows out. It works for me, I run a 175watt MH and 2x55watt PC 's over a 20 gallon tank with little temperature rise.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
i just ordered four vantec stealth 92mm fans. i'm thinking about putting them along the back of the canopy, two on the right half blowing in and two on the left half blowing out. i'm hoping it will create somewhat of a circular airflow on the inside. or maybe the center two blowing in and the outer two blow out?

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com