Light vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever created a vent system for their lights? I bought a 36inch 2x96 power compact setup not realizing it would run so very hot. I am thinking of running some black vacuum cleaner hose from each end of the light to my garage(through the floor) which remains cool during all times of the year. The room I put my tank in has a tendency get warm in the summer months. Another feature I would add is putting the fan down in the opening in the garage so I would hear less noise. I'm thinking I could drill a hole at either end of the light on the back instead of running the hose off the ends of the light were the holes are now.

lightvent.JPG

What do you all think?

Thanks,

-Maximo

Could an Admin please move this to the DIYer forum.. I got gung ho about posting and forgot to goto the right forum.

Thanks,

-Maximo

Many people vent their canopies. Most will install 120MM fans in the sides either blowing in or out (so many debates on whats better). Folks will also have an air gap between the reflector and the top of the canopy so air can flow between them. Installing vents in the top will allow hot air to naturally vent out aswell. Given the principle of hot air rising and cold air falling I dont know how effecent running hose down to a basement would be unless you put a fan in the basement blowing cool air into the canopy.

haha...i was just about to ask what the pros and cons are of blowing in or out. maybe two in and two out? i'm going to buying a few of the vantec stealth 92mm fans for my canopy. i've heard really good things about them...very quiet and they move a lot of air for the size.

My homemade hanging fixture is cooled as follows. There is @ 1/2" gap between reflector and the top of the hood. I cut vents into the top of the hood so hot air can escape. I installed a fan in both ends of the hood, one blows in the other blows out. It works for me, I run a 175watt MH and 2x55watt PC 's over a 20 gallon tank with little temperature rise.

i just ordered four vantec stealth 92mm fans. i'm thinking about putting them along the back of the canopy, two on the right half blowing in and two on the left half blowing out. i'm hoping it will create somewhat of a circular airflow on the inside. or maybe the center two blowing in and the outer two blow out? :?:

Back
Top Bottom