Lighting a 10 Gal Frag Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a few 10 Gal tanks that are empty and am thinking about setting one up for a frag tank with shelves.

I'm looking for suggestions on lighting the sucker. I'm willing to build about anything, but am not against a premade, if someone can steer me in the right direction as far as caps and ballasts. I would PREFER PC lighting due to the heat factor, but I could MH it.

Suggestions?

Is 36 watt enough?

Coralife makes 12" ones that are that much.

I posted pics of the light I built for my 10 gal awhile back.

You can get a 2x32 electronic ballast from Home Depot for $7.98. It is a shop light that they sell. You can remove the ballast and plug and the ballast is small and not heavy.

Then just get some end caps, clips for the bulbs and 2 28 or 32 watt bulbs. I think the bulbs run $17 each online and you can get end caps as cheap as $2 each. The clips are normally $1.50 each. So for $50 + shipping you can have a 2x32 watt light :)

I put it in canopy I made so the cost was pretty minimal. Depends on how fancy you make it. The 2x32 was plenty of light for most softie frags and probably some LPS. I keep Montipora Digitata under it as well.

HTH

That helps a lot ellisz, but I can't seem to find the post with the pix. Any help on that?

Here is one pic I found on my hard drive. I must have deleted them on the site. I know I posted one of the light fixture itself. I will have to get one tonight. I use the same light for my 20L frag tank :)

The ballast will also power a 55 watt bulb to for a bigger tank.

I just painted the inside of the canopy white. Nothing fancy. The filter hanging on the back was a refugium and it was lighted by the same light. The back was open for ventilation as well.

Too much light.. 8O It was a joke mainly.. I did see how cheap those were though.. Thats a deal!! is is a T-8 or T-12 ballast? 2-32 usually means 2- 48" T-8's right??? Your using one ballast per bulb or one for both?

I believe the box says it is for 2 48" T8 or T12. I use one ballast to power 2 32 watt bulbs. I am going to try an use one to power a 55 watt bulb as well.

Back
Top Bottom