Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to the_sass72 Send a message via MSN to the_sass72
Lighting a 10g

I want to do a little reef project, no clambs, hard corals. I was hoping someone modified a tank hood from Walmart or has an idea of what I could fit in there from HD or Lowe's. 10g tank.

Would a Zoo-med Ocean-Sun bulb do the trick for some lower light corals, possibly an anemone? How about a Coral-Sun. I am thinking with more blues in the light scheme I'd like the Ocean-Sun a little more.

Thanks,
S

Old 02-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to the_sass72 Send a message via MSN to the_sass72
Oh, the other thing I saw was an undercabinet light at walmart. I believe it was 20watt, but it said output of 60watt ... anyone familiar with something like that. I think my dh could fit it in this hood (I am not electrically inclined, but will be after this).

Thanks,
S

Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have my 10 gallon lit with the 2x13W bright kit from AH supply (www.ahsupply.com); Does very well for my FW planted, I imagine it'd work fine for a reef setup with a couple of actinic bulbs.

They have instructions on building a simple DIY hood, and modifing existing hoods to take thier systems... I built my own, worked out pretty well for me. Only took a saturday.

If you'd like to mod an existing hood for more light you could go ODNO (over driven normal output) flourecent; Basically you buy a ballast ($30-$40) at home depot or online and replace the one in your purchased hood. Can double output of NO flourecents, if you get a big enough ballast. seach ODNO and you should come up with something useful.

Not sure of what wattage you require for your setup; I'm not too familiar with SW. Maybe someday... but I HTH

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com