Lighting build in progress (PICS) for 120 FOWLR/Reef(later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone
I want to thank everyone for your help with the information on what i would need for lighting. I'm building a lighting system for my 120 FOWLR with the capability to support a reef down the road. I purchased 2 250MH double ended reflectors with 2 Phoenix 250W 14,000K bulbs, 4 T5HO reflectors with waterproof sockets (didn't order any T5HO bulbs yet, Maybe tonight). I ordered the ballasts but they have not yet arrived, i did receive the other stuff yesterday and started fabrication today. Here are a few pics of where I'm at. Any advice or any you think may be askew please let me know. I have to get back to work, and mount the MH reflectors between the two frames. I'll will update with more pics as more progress is made.:D
T5HO&MHreflectors.jpg

Completed T5.jpg

TheParts1.jpg

Backside T5.jpg

Managed to get the MH reflectors in, That's it for today time for some:sleeping:.
MH1.jpg

MH2.jpg

MH4.jpg

MH3.jpg

Thanks HN1, I cant wait to get the ballasts so i can fire it up, I think i'm going to mount them on top of the rack.

Cool. I'm following closely. I need to retrofit a 125 canopy and figure out a pendant for a 100 frag tank. Oh, and did I mention that I'm a bit DIY "challenged"? lol

Cool. I'm following closely. I need to retrofit a 125 canopy and figure out a pendant for a 100 frag tank. Oh, and did I mention that I'm a bit DIY "challenged"? lol
Not a problem, we over here can help, anytime, anywhere. I'm going to buy some wood tomorrow and build the canopy to match the stand (I think you saw it in the Semi DIY 120 gal stand). I'm building it in a way so I can unplug the lighting rack and lift it out easily from the canopy which will make the canopy lighter and easier to remove and maintenance & bulb changes a snap. I've read to many threads where they needed additional people to help remove the canopy. The canopy top is going to be open which will greatly reduce overheating. I should have some thing in a few days.

Looks good. The only thing I would have recommended is moving both MH reflectors more towards the middle. The center of the bulbs should be aprox 18" from each end of the tank for best coverage. As it stands now, the middle of your tank might look a little dimmer than the ends.

Looks good. The only thing I would have recommended is moving both MH reflectors more towards the middle. The center of the bulbs should be aprox 18" from each end of the tank for best coverage. As it stands now, the middle of your tank might look a little dimmer than the ends.
Thanks for the advise, as it is now they are 16" to the center of each bulb, if you don't think that will work I'll move them now. Unfortunately I cant even test it because the ballasts haven't arrived yet, they should be here on Tuesday.

16" should be fine. 18" would just put a little more light in the center and not as much on the ends. No big deal tho.

16" should be fine. 18" would just put a little more light in the center and not as much on the ends. No big deal tho.
When I'm able to fire it up and there is less light in the center I'll move them in 1" increments towards the center. What about the middle brace, is that going to affect anything, also should I somehow try to protect it from the heat?

I have two braces on my 125 and i dont see much of a shadow with my VHO`s. You should be OK. BTW it looks pretty good.

When I'm able to fire it up and there is less light in the center I'll move them in 1" increments towards the center. What about the middle brace, is that going to affect anything, also should I somehow try to protect it from the heat?
I have a bulb/reflector about 12" directly above the cross brace in my tank (6' tank with 1 brace in the center). I don't have any issues with the heat from the bulb or shadows...but I have a fan that blows across the water and the bulbs on either side cast enough light to hide any possible shadows.

Thanks Mike, I was just a little concerned about the brace melting with MH lamps and any shadows from said brace. I think I'm going to try a pole about the canopy because my wife thinks it looks like a coffin and I don't. Not for anything but it looks exactly like the stand and she didn't say anything about that. What do you think should I put up a pole and see what the masses have to say?

I have a bulb/reflector about 12" directly above the cross brace in my tank (6' tank with 1 brace in the center). I don't have any issues with the heat from the bulb or shadows...but I have a fan that blows across the water and the bulbs on either side cast enough light to hide any possible shadows.
That's good to hear you don't have any problems with the center brace melting or much in the way of shadows and neither does Mike (One less thing to worry about). When it finally gets lit up I'll post a few pics to get some more feed back. Thanks again Larry.

Back
Top Bottom