Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, it really depends how close you plan on having your lights close to the water. unless you've got a lot of fish splashing and thrashing around at the water's surface, the tiny amount that sprays up from normal turbulance shouldn't cause any distress to halide or fluorescent bulbs.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, about how far would you suggest? I want to get some tridacna clams in the near future (after the tank has stabilized a few months) and the tank itself is 20" deep...after the DSB though, the surface of that would probably be about 15" from the tank top. I read that about 8" is usually a good distance. There will be 3x250 and 4x96 ...got a suggesstion on how high they should be, and if this will pose a splash hazard? Thanks again.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I just realized, 2 more questions...what's a good tool to use to cut eggcrate?
And...I got a small sheet of acrylic today (for the sump) and will it yellow even if it says on it non-yellowing? Or is the primary concern the warping of light wavelengths? Or decreasing intensity? or whatever else it does? Thanks.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 12-28-2003, 11:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

8" sounds great for the MH

get the PC's as close as you can, since they don't penerate very well and they're not very hot, so a little splash shouldn't hurt
Old 12-29-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

updated diagram

things changed:

1) reduced wattage of MH from 400 to 250

2) moved the t5's around a bit to make room for 2 more tubes as a low expense upgrade path

3) changed color temp of MH and T5 bulbs, so they'll be about the same, nice a blue
Old 12-29-2003, 12:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a pre-made hood, so I think the PC are only an inch or so closer. I want to use the PC for Actinic supplementation only. The MH will probably be 10,000K (unless anyone has better suggesstions for clams/corals). And in case you just use the email notification (as I do), I'm gonna be redundant: know the best way to cut eggcrate, and will the acrylic yellow if it says non-yellowing? In addition, will acrylic that's approx. 1/11 of an inch be acceptable for sump baffles/walls? Or should I get thicker? And for a splash shield...would thinner acrylic aide in the light-bending and intensity loss, or do I really not need it? I just don't want exploding MH bulbs...I like my fireworks outside. =] Thanks, and I apologize if my redundancy bothers anyone.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

cut the eggcrate by scoring a deep line and then snaping it

all plastic will yellow exposed to the radiation put off that close to an MH bulb - go for glass and clean it regularly

1/11th of an inch? never heard of that - perhaps 1/8th but that would not be good enough for a stong baffle - 3/16th would work or 1/4
Old 12-29-2003, 12:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dad had grabbed a piece while I was at work today, and he said the guy told him it was like .09" or something, I just did the math. I haven't done anything to it, so I can take it back tomorrow when I get more eggcrate/stuff for the skimmer. To hold the baffles in place, should I use a good marine-grade epoxy, or regular aquarium silicone? Will a utility knife/boxcutter work to score the eggcrate? Prolly shoulda put this in a different thread...heh, sorry!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

use a 2 part epoxy for the best hold

if you want to experiment with positioning first, use some silicone, then you can scrape it off and start over

use a drywall knife or one of those big box cutters, something that will let you get a good score into the plastic

Tags
canopy, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com