Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

lighting canopy diagram

Here's some rough draft canopy diagrams on how I plan to do my lighting.

any thoughts?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like the slits on the top to allow for heat dissipation and evaporation. The power connector idea is a cool one too. Do you like the T5 bulbs?
I'm now buying a full hood instead of a retrofit, so I'm not sure how to do my canopy now. Should I just make a box, with front hinges, and leave the top off and simply set the hood on the top...or should I just set it on stands? There will be eggcrate on the tank and a glass or acrylic sheet in between the lights and the water surface.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
justDIY I like the set up, see no probs with it from my eye. What fans are you going to use and at what CPM are you going to run them at?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansemacabre
Do you like the T5 bulbs?
I like the T5's very much ... see my recent post about them in the diy forum - I was somewhat skeptical at first but now I have no doubts.

Quote:
I'm now buying a full hood instead of a retrofit, so I'm not sure how to do my canopy now. Should I just make a box, with front hinges, and leave the top off
yea, that is a good idea - they call those wrap-arrounds or surrounds, basicly just a band that sits around the top of your tank, with braces inside to sit lights on

Quote:
There will be eggcrate on the tank and a glass or acrylic sheet in between the lights and the water surface.
eggcrate is OK, glass or acrylic is unnessecary and will reduce your light output. when the glass is new, its fine, but after a few months calcium will build up on the glass and make it cloudy. acrylic will turn yellow after extended exposure to the radiation and heat from the lights.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrobes
What fans are you going to use and at what CPM are you going to run them at?
i'm going with 4 5/8th inch 12 volt DC fans and will probably run them at 8 or 9 volts to reduce their noise.

since the fans will eventually get killed by salt water air, cheap dc fans are favored over more expesnive quiet ones.

also, ac fans sound kind of dangerous - having salt get inside there and cause a short circuit just doesn't appeal to me
Old 12-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

what have you come up with so far for keying your power coupling? You might wanna see if you can dig up some coupling from stage lighting equipment. They'll have a half dozen or so connectors and be able to handle the draw you'll need.

can't think of an easy place to get one, but I think that's what you wanna look for.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Hey G, How and where are you ballasts going to be kept? Just curious for ideas myself. Thanks
R-
Old 12-28-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
what have you come up with so far for keying your power coupling?
well, I'm going to use the standard 3 prong IEC style connector found on most anything electronic. it has 3 conductors, all individually insulated.

I plan on using 2 of the 3 contacts on each connector - the unused contact / prong will be clipped out, and the corresponding hole on the female side of the connector will be filled with epoxy

see attached diagram
Old 12-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefnewb
Hey G, How and where are you ballasts going to be kept?
the electronic ballasts for the fluorescents will be mounted up high under the stand, just screwed into the wood.

the magnetic ballasts for the halides will be installed in a steel toolbox or similar steel enclosure and sat behind the stand or next to it (ive got about 18" dead space on either side of my stand)

so, all the ballasts will be remote mounted, and wired to the canopy with those power connectors.

I have a source for 15 ft IEC power cables, so I'll be using them for everything - should have a nice finished look.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The eggcrate is to allow gas exchange while keeping my to-be gobies in the tank. I need something to protect the MH from splash, do I not? I was told in the Getting Started forum that while they are not required, they come highly recommended.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canopy, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com