Lighting: hanging vs fixture on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93MSB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im in the process of setting up a new tank and im throwing around the idea of hanging the lighting from the ceiling. This will be a mbuna tank so there will be no plants, the light will be for viewing fish only.

The lighting fixture I had in mind is the Current USA LED+ freshwater.

Pros for hanging:
Easier access to tank
Larger view of the tank looking from the top
more aesthetically pleasing (to me anyway)
lower algae growth (obviously due to lower light)

Cons for hanging:
added cost
light is dispersed around the room
reflection of lights on surface of water? kind of ruins the larger top-down view... i noticed this when i lifted my current fixture off of my current tank about 6in. Will this be reduced/noticeable the further up the light goes?

anything else?

my two concerns right now are the reflection of the light on the water surface looking down and the light being dispersed around the room. A big reason for hanging the fixture is to gain the view from the top down, but if the lights reflection is all you see that defeats the purpose.

I noticed a lot of the led reef lights are smaller box units. Am I correct in assuming the reason for this is to limit the amount of light that pours over past the tanks rim? So i would be better off hanging say a 36" unit over a 48" tank

Back
Top Bottom