Lighting question: MH ballast and sockets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meathead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been wondering if this was possible but could not find any information to tell me if it would work or not, can anyone help me out. I have a 250 Watt MH ballast kit consisting of a transformer, capacitor, and mogul socket.

I have used thes kits before and the work perfect, my question is could I buy a double ended socket kit and a 250 Watt HQI bulb and just swap it out with the mogul socket? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I know that it works in reverse, you know had a 250watt hqi system bulb holder broke switched with mogul socket (thats all that was available localy) and it worked fine. of course I switched back as soon as I ordered the new part. but I dont see why it wouldn't work the other way around.

I don't think you can fire a HQI DE bulb with a magnetic ballast. Any reason in particular you want to use DE instead of SE bulbs?

I was thinking about doing away with my canopy and going with two 250 watt DE pendants.

Since the canopy I have now was a DIY, I have a custom made ballast box with both transformers, capacitors, and cooling fans already made, i was wondering if i could just purchase the two pendants and wire them up to the existing ballast box.

Again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

You could always do single ended pendants instead of the DE. As far as I know you have to have an HQI ballast to fire DE bulbs. HQI ballast will fire both single ended and DE, but I don't think it works the other way around.

I would check with the manufacturer of your ballast and see if it will fire HQI DE bulbs. What kind of ballast is it?

Back
Top Bottom