Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Oh boy! Another newbie mistake. I guess you live and learn. I was unaware of these issues with lights and nothing when I asked about lighting was ever brought up about algae. Well I guess the only good thing I don't have the lights on often and some days they don't go on at all.

I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Another example of listening to your LFS. One place, a well known warehouse in my area was trying to sell me a 6 bulb fixture. Said it would REALLY make the colors of the fish pop! Said people were buying these lights up like crazy, he was getting a new shipment in later in the week they were going so fast. I was like no thank you as I saw the price.

Well thanks for the heads up fellas. Guess you can get a good laugh at my expensive mistake. No return policy... Just called.

Live and learn... I got thinking and hoped you wouldn't take my comment offensively, as it was purely intended as constructive. If you limit your light, you shouldn't have any issues. Just turn them on when you want to view the tank, feed, etc. I certainly wouldn't have them on a regular schedule for more than 4 hours a day, if that.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries at all!

I understand your just helping me and I thank you for that, hey! That's why i joined right? Im gonna make mistakes, I look at like this... It could have been a worse mistake where my fish were in imminent danger!! You got your point across and I now understand what I did wrong and I will make sure to absolutely limit the lighting.

Thanks,

Dino

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

on the plus side, if you ever decide to do a planted tank you are set up great!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschowa
on the plus side, if you ever decide to do a planted tank you are set up great!!!
That's a great way to look at it.

Also I know there low light but I have 12 Anubias plants in my tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

That's a great way to look at it.

Also I know there low light but I have 12 Anubias plants in my tank.
Lol nice! Man, if only you didnt have africans. You could have a SWEET planted tank!!! Or, go reef with that huge light lol

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com