Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I fell in love with these T5 High HO's I got this Auqasun dirt cheap with some store credit. I have a fresh water tank 75 gallon. African Cichlid's.

Is there a better light? Something that will just blow my mind?

I'm addicted to the lighting. I've seen some interesting ones on line.

Your thoughts? Keep what I have? Something out there worth getting?

Saw a Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 HO that's pretty neat! It has 4 bulbs 2 are the actinic and also have LED moonlights. Worth getting?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops wrong section. Sorry! See that's how excited I got.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'm gonna buy it. The light I bought I got ripped off big time at the LFS. Found the same light online for 54.00!!

Gonna return it and get my money back! They were selling it for 179.99. What a joke.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think you need a 4 lamp fixture for just a fish tank. those are more geared towards keeping photosynthetic creatures, but it will make the tank look a bit nicer than just a single strip light.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i don't think you need a 4 lamp fixture for just a fish tank. those are more geared towards keeping photosynthetic creatures, but it will make the tank look a bit nicer than just a single strip light.
I ended up going with the Solarmax Xtreme 4 bulb. 2 actinic 03 and 2 daylight 10k. Digital timer for all so set it and forget it. Also has 8 moonlight LED's. I tried about 6 different lights. This one I like the most. It has 4 different modes of lighting and I like the fact that the moonlight LED's can turn off. Had a fan which is very quiet and it just looks killer sitting on top of my tank!! I know its overboard but i love it. The 2 lamp Solarmax the LED's stayed on. If you wanted them off you had to unplug the unit.

Attachment 64522

That's the 2 blues, 2 daylight and 8 LED's on. I'm happy.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your tank looks great even if it is overboard ; )
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Get back to us in a month or two when you've got algae so bad, you're ready to bleach the tank. I don't even put lights on fish only tanks. It does look good, but it's just a waste of money IMHO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'd be very worried about your future algae issues, especially in a tank loaded with africans.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlame
Your tank looks great even if it is overboard ; )
Thanks!!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Get back to us in a month or two when you've got algae so bad, you're ready to bleach the tank. I don't even put lights on fish only tanks. It does look good, but it's just a waste of money IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade
I'd be very worried about your future algae issues, especially in a tank loaded with africans.
Oh boy! Another newbie mistake. I guess you live and learn. I was unaware of these issues with lights and nothing when I asked about lighting was ever brought up about algae. Well I guess the only good thing I don't have the lights on often and some days they don't go on at all.

I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Another example of listening to your LFS. One place, a well known warehouse in my area was trying to sell me a 6 bulb fixture. Said it would REALLY make the colors of the fish pop! Said people were buying these lights up like crazy, he was getting a new shipment in later in the week they were going so fast. I was like no thank you as I saw the price.

Well thanks for the heads up fellas. Guess you can get a good laugh at my expensive mistake. No return policy... Just called.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com