Lighting, your opinion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I fell in love with these T5 High HO's I got this Auqasun dirt cheap with some store credit. I have a fresh water tank 75 gallon. African Cichlid's.

Is there a better light? Something that will just blow my mind?

I'm addicted to the lighting. I've seen some interesting ones on line.

Your thoughts? Keep what I have? Something out there worth getting?

Saw a Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 HO that's pretty neat! It has 4 bulbs 2 are the actinic and also have LED moonlights. Worth getting?

I think I'm gonna buy it. The light I bought I got ripped off big time at the LFS. Found the same light online for 54.00!!

Gonna return it and get my money back! They were selling it for 179.99. What a joke.

i don't think you need a 4 lamp fixture for just a fish tank. those are more geared towards keeping photosynthetic creatures, but it will make the tank look a bit nicer than just a single strip light.

mr_X said:
i don't think you need a 4 lamp fixture for just a fish tank. those are more geared towards keeping photosynthetic creatures, but it will make the tank look a bit nicer than just a single strip light.

I ended up going with the Solarmax Xtreme 4 bulb. 2 actinic 03 and 2 daylight 10k. Digital timer for all so set it and forget it. Also has 8 moonlight LED's. I tried about 6 different lights. This one I like the most. It has 4 different modes of lighting and I like the fact that the moonlight LED's can turn off. Had a fan which is very quiet and it just looks killer sitting on top of my tank!! I know its overboard but i love it. The 2 lamp Solarmax the LED's stayed on. If you wanted them off you had to unplug the unit.

View attachment 64522

That's the 2 blues, 2 daylight and 8 LED's on. I'm happy. :)

Last edited:
Get back to us in a month or two when you've got algae so bad, you're ready to bleach the tank. I don't even put lights on fish only tanks. It does look good, but it's just a waste of money IMHO

I'd be very worried about your future algae issues, especially in a tank loaded with africans.

mfdrookie516 said:
Get back to us in a month or two when you've got algae so bad, you're ready to bleach the tank. I don't even put lights on fish only tanks. It does look good, but it's just a waste of money IMHO

Wy Renegade said:
I'd be very worried about your future algae issues, especially in a tank loaded with africans.

Oh boy! Another newbie mistake. I guess you live and learn. I was unaware of these issues with lights and nothing when I asked about lighting was ever brought up about algae. Well I guess the only good thing I don't have the lights on often and some days they don't go on at all.

I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Another example of listening to your LFS. One place, a well known warehouse in my area was trying to sell me a 6 bulb fixture. Said it would REALLY make the colors of the fish pop! Said people were buying these lights up like crazy, he was getting a new shipment in later in the week they were going so fast. I was like no thank you as I saw the price.

Well thanks for the heads up fellas. Guess you can get a good laugh at my expensive mistake. No return policy... Just called.

:( :(

Oh boy! Another newbie mistake. I guess you live and learn. I was unaware of these issues with lights and nothing when I asked about lighting was ever brought up about algae. Well I guess the only good thing I don't have the lights on often and some days they don't go on at all.

I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Another example of listening to your LFS. One place, a well known warehouse in my area was trying to sell me a 6 bulb fixture. Said it would REALLY make the colors of the fish pop! Said people were buying these lights up like crazy, he was getting a new shipment in later in the week they were going so fast. I was like no thank you as I saw the price.

Well thanks for the heads up fellas. Guess you can get a good laugh at my expensive mistake. No return policy... Just called.

:( :(

Live and learn... I got thinking and hoped you wouldn't take my comment offensively, as it was purely intended as constructive. If you limit your light, you shouldn't have any issues. Just turn them on when you want to view the tank, feed, etc. I certainly wouldn't have them on a regular schedule for more than 4 hours a day, if that.

No worries at all! :)

I understand your just helping me and I thank you for that, hey! That's why i joined right? Im gonna make mistakes, I look at like this... It could have been a worse mistake where my fish were in imminent danger!! You got your point across and I now understand what I did wrong and I will make sure to absolutely limit the lighting.

Thanks,

Dino

Bschowa said:
on the plus side, if you ever decide to do a planted tank you are set up great!!!

That's a great way to look at it. :)

Also I know there low light but I have 12 Anubias plants in my tank.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
That's a great way to look at it. :)

Also I know there low light but I have 12 Anubias plants in my tank.

Lol nice! Man, if only you didnt have africans. You could have a SWEET planted tank!!! Or, go reef with that huge light lol

Back
Top Bottom