lights in DIY canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a set of Outer Orbit 24"LED HQI PC lights that is to big to fit on top of the tank so I am thinking about building a custom canopy to house all of the light. Am I setting myself up for problems by enclosing a lighting setup that can sit directly in the tank and will it be nessecary to add fans to the outside of the hood if I leave the back open? Thanks in advance guys, I now this one is a little out there!!!

is it this one?:
http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbit.htm

i would ensure you have adequate cooling airflow around that fixture. at 280 watts (in that small of a canopy) it is going to be pumping out heat. leaving the back open should be good. if you are concerned about light leaking out the back, then you can cover the bottom half of the back and leave the top half open. heat rises, so the more you can get out at the top, the better.

if you enclose the entire canopy then a fan will probably become a necessity.

if at all possible, leave yourself the ability to add a fan at a later date, if you find out that your cooling isnt adequate.

~mike

thats the one! Im a little worried about the heat but I REALLY want to put this one on the tank and hanging is not an option. The setup is great but is BIG. HMMMMM now back to square one!! Any ideas of templates for canopys?

Back
Top Bottom