Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a mbuna cichlid tank and have been thinking about getting live plants to add to it. But I know nothing about growing underwater plants. Cichlids aren't known to eat live plants are they? What kind of plants are good for beginners? Do they need a treatment to be applied to the tank and if so how often?

IME, mbuna view some live plants as dessert; anacaris in particular. Some on here are able to keep them, so it likely depends on both the type of plants and the number of plants you put in the tank. I would definitely research it carefully before adding any.

SKB said:
I have a mbuna cichlid tank and have been thinking about getting live plants to add to it. But I know nothing about growing underwater plants. Cichlids aren't known to eat live plants are they? What kind of plants are good for beginners? Do they need a treatment to be applied to the tank and if so how often?

My mbuna are rigorous diggers, even if they didn't eat the plants they would surely uproot them.

I have tryed it multiple different ways and I couldn't keep them in the tank. They uprooted, ate and ripped them up till I took them out. Even some of the people that had success keeping plants ended up taking them out in the long run, but some people are able to long term. If you keep mostly herbavors and carnivores your chances aren't very good imo.

Thanks. Ill prolly forget it then. I figured since a lot of the cichlid tanks I see, I feel like they hardly ever have many plants if any at all.

Back
Top Bottom