livebearer breeder box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugg464

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am thinking about custom making a breeder that hangs on the side of the tank. it will have enough space to house 3 or 4 females at a time and be able to raise the fry once they are born. it will look similar to the ones you can buy in the store but longer. i was thinking about using plexiglass to do this project. any suggestions?

What species of fish are you trying to breed? I'm not a big fan of keeping the females in a box for any length of time. I will keep fry in the breeder box for a while, but I prefer to put them in a separate tank.

guppies, palaties, and mollies. the one i am thinking about building will be twice the size of the store brands per fish

having a 2nd tank would be more helpful.

Definitely. Are you trying to keep the pregnant females separate so you can keep the babies separate, or do you just want a location to keep the pregnant and fry away from the others?

i am wanting to be able to keep the females seperate from the babies the design i am looking at drops the babies into a 10 gallon tank and the females are in the box so they cant eat them. then i would leave the babies in the 10 gallon tank as a grow off tank.

Get something like this (the edges are hollow so it floats on the water):

Amazon.com: Lee's Aquarium 3 Way Breeder Box: Kitchen & Dining

This is exactly what I have and it worked so well. You could cut off the bottom part and the grate won't fall because it wedges between the sides of the box, and put it in the 10-gallon. This way, when the girls are about to pop, they go in the breeder section, and the fry fall between the grate and into the open 10-gallon. Then you can replace her in the original tank afterward.
B0002APRKG

Back
Top Bottom