Lock down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day, while preparing lunch for my eldest daughter (who just turned 2), she decided she was going to rearrange the inside of the aquarium, and not in a very nice way. Plants were floating, caves were overturned and our black mystery snail somehow to chipped in the process (nothing serious). As a result, I decided to lock down the aquarium hood using tape for lack of any better ideas. Needless to say, it's not a very aesthetically pleasing nor is it very convenient when feeding time comes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can securely attach the hood as to prevent any future repeats in a more... elegant way? She knows how to both remove the hood, and open the feeding trap.

Unfortunately [in this case] my daughter is a monkey with the strength of a gorilla. Velcro would pose no challenge to her in the event that she set her mind on doing this again. However, I never considered standard child safety mechanisms. I have to take a run to walmart today anyways, so I will take a look at what they have and see if I can rig something up.

Thank you for your reply!

the only thing I can think of is to build a canopy.. you could work pretty much anything into your design that way..

Would this work:

link
Oh wait you want to secure the hood not the child. :wink:

Oh well, I like the velcro idea.

Brut of a kid or not, If you get the good velcro that hood is not coming off. Go do your local hardware store and ask them for the most secure velcro they have. I've got some holding thing to walls that weight more then a few lbs.

afilter - cute!

I am going to go with the velco idea! Have to make a trip to the LHS tomorrow, so I wil pick it up then.

Thanks for the suggestions!

One sure way to lock the hood down would be to drill a hole on the side (or both sides) of the hood. Where you drill should go through the outer part of the hood into the “swing up lid”.

Cut an appropriate length of doll rod which is of the appropriate diameter as well. There are many real cool wood balls, decorations, shells, etc… that the doll rod can be glued to. Once you glue your “locking doll rod” to the decoration; you now have a key (or two).

Put the key in the hole (or holes). It shouldn’t appear tacky or ugly or anything, just a little different. If you chose a flat object to glue the doll rod into it would make it even trickier to get one of the “keys” out (2 even more difficult for a child). At least it can buy you time.

Or for the spindle "doll rod" you can use a painted black bolt. one with a slot in the top would be good. that way only strong fingernails or a screw driver can open it.

Drill or melt holes through the lid and ledge allowing you to use locking plastic ties, one on each end. If you need to get in you can cut the off and lock with a new ones.

Back
Top Bottom