Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might be interested in this video: http://media.putfile.com/My-Fishroom-Movie
(Definitely not my tanks!) It's a guy who has four tanks in a fishroom, totaling over 400 gallons, all linked by water bridges. I don't think he has it plumbed for a flow, but I'm not sure. Have you considered doing water bridges over the top like that? I've read his posts on another forum, and he says the fish use them freely, going from tank to tank. I would imagine that would be less prone to problems than trying to make a pipe through the side of an aquarium, but I am not a DIY person. You should still be able to get a siphon flow through them, right? You'd have to be careful that your pump isn't too powerful, I guess... I'll be interested to see if you get this going!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Quote:
Originally Posted by majolo
You might be interested in this video: http://media.putfile.com/My-Fishroom-Movie
(Definitely not my tanks!) It's a guy who has four tanks in a fishroom, totaling over 400 gallons, all linked by water bridges. I don't think he has it plumbed for a flow, but I'm not sure. Have you considered doing water bridges over the top like that? I've read his posts on another forum, and he says the fish use them freely, going from tank to tank. I would imagine that would be less prone to problems than trying to make a pipe through the side of an aquarium, but I am not a DIY person. You should still be able to get a siphon flow through them, right? You'd have to be careful that your pump isn't too powerful, I guess... I'll be interested to see if you get this going!
I'm looking for a pump that is adjustable, so I can adjust the flow between the tanks, that way it can be set just right. I was looking for a setup that would be functional, and look good at the same time. not saying his setup doesnt look good, just not my kinda thing. That setup is nice, but I am lookin at building one to fit what we are looking to do. I know that would work, and would likely be cheaper, and quicker...but I am also looking to gain experience and confidence through this build to tackle the project my fiance and I are planning for when we build our own house a few years down the road. (we are talking about having an aquarium style house, with passage ways and tunnels throughout the house, as well as walls made only from the aquarium, and a room that houses the main portion of the aquarium. We know it will be a task in and of itself, but it is something we are willing to take on )

That video helped out, it gave me more ideas for me to think about

Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ziggy, it's like the tanks they had in the Shark's Clubs around here. I don't know if you went to the store in Alexandria, but they used to have two tanks connected like that.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I'm no artist by far, and aparently my MS paint skills aint much better...LOL

This is a very rough draft of what I am planning on the tank looking like, as things begin to progress, and the time gets closer to build day...I will invest in a good CAD program and draw it out that way.

Let me know what yall think, I know atleast one had asked for a drawing of this...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you have the filter intake in one tank and the return in another, you will get plenty of flow through tunnel. By adjusting the returns you should be able to eliminate any dead spots.

My Tank pics - http://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/My%20Tank.htm
Plecosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plecosterone
If you have the filter intake in one tank and the return in another, you will get plenty of flow through tunnel. By adjusting the returns you should be able to eliminate any dead spots.
I agree, and will likely use that idea, as well as filters in each main tank, along with air stones and what not to keep the water moving...

thank you all for the help
Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're planning on a filter in each tank, and one larger filter to do intertank flow, air stones should not be necessary.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotheragentm
If you're planning on a filter in each tank, and one larger filter to do intertank flow, air stones should not be necessary.
yeah, but we have strange fish who like to play in bubbles...LOL
Old 04-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been watching this one, and have not spoken up because sizes were not discussed until now.I do not think half inch acrylic is suitable for a tank of those proportions. I can practically bend half inch with my hands at a four foot length, so I know that the pressure of the water will definitley stress it... My friends 200 or so gallon tank is made from one inch with a full perimeter top brace.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree 1" would be strong 1/2 inch isnt that strong and will probly bow out when filled if not right away, it will over time . good luck and keep us up to date

Tags
custom, custom tank, project, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com