Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Smile Looking to start a planted aquarium...

I'm looking to start a 20 gallon planted aquarium that I can eventually keep maybe some plain guppies or tetras in. I researched it a bit, and am still a bit lost. I would like some plants that are not super hard to take care of, but are still interesting. Any pointers/suggestions?

29 gallon - I've had a 29 gallon for 2 years now, it was my first tank. It's filled with many plastic plants and aquarium ornaments, and currently houses 2 mature platies and a ton of platy fry (when they're big enough I'm donating them to the LFS,) 5 neon tetras, 4 red eye tetras, and 2 peppered cory cats.
20 gallon - I've just gotten this tank, and would like to try live plants this time. Not sure where to begin.

maymaycares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First you need to figure out the lighting and then go from there. Low light plants like mosses, java fern and anubia are always a good place to start.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you!!
maymaycares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

What light you have will determine not only plants, but also substrate & other equipment needed.

You can look through this for some ideas of a basic low light tank:
PG: Setting up your first planted tank - PlantGeek.net
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

plant, planted, planted aquarium, planted aquarium help, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com