Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Low cost, short time DIY background

Does it exist?

I am speaking, of course, about the 3D type foam backgrounds. I have seen several tutorials on using concrete, but all of those say you need to "cure" it for several days to several weeks.

I have also seen several using different types of epoxy resins. As of yet, I have only seen one that uses an "affordable" epoxy resin.

The one that I have ran across that seemed affordable was the use of fiberglass epoxy resin. However, after doing a bit more reading, there seemed to be a great deal of people warning against using it in an aquarium. Why? Not sure.

I would love to do something like this but I dont want to have to wait until June to put fish in my tank. So, is there a method that doesnt take 8 weeks of soaking or $100 worth of resins?

Comments/Links/Suggestions? Anything? LOL

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
well. you could go with concrete over foam, and make it so that you can put it in the tank later. if you make it out of several pieces, you could easily put it in the tank after the fact. the only real issue would be securing it to the wall. and you could probably handle that by lowering the water level a few inches, drying off the glass, and using a silicone adhesive to secure the backgound to the glass. (make sure you give the silicone adequate time to cure before adding water... i.e. 24 hours or more)

or, you could move all your fish into a smaller quarantine tank while the background is installed.

obviously, you would have to look at a background-less tank until your done, but you would have fish in there.

it is definately do-able. you can add it to the tank later...

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The fiberglass resin sprinkled with some form of sand, gravel, or stone is going to be the fastest way to get it done. You can also just paint the styrofoam a color first, but it must be done with a paint that is impervious to the solvents of the resin or it will lift off and wrinkle. I made mine from a green styrofoam sheet that when resined has a natural look to it, and I completed that project in a day or two. Alternatively, you can tint the resin to a certain degree with a universal colorant made for paints, but it will only be a tint, not an opaque color.
Sicklid is offline   Reply With Quote

background, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com