make shift lights for 15 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have an idea.............................. it involves a PC flourescent lamp bulb in one of those sheap lights fixtueres lik efor a reptile.

will this work if so what wattage will i need for coral

If your refering to those PC bulbs you can screw into a regular light socket then I would not use it for a SW tank as the specitum is all wrong.

ohh ok dang i thought it would work oh well

it is just that i do not watn to pay that much money for a the corallife quad PClight fixture with all them other things on it

is there a diffrent fixture for less that i could make or buy for cheap but still great quality?

is this a 15 long tank?

If so, I I believe back when I was into saltwater I actually was able to cram into a hood I made for one witth I believe 90 watts of lights.. All regular flourescents.

You can use the fixtures they use for reptile bulbs, just not the builbs I believe.. Which means you can mount a row of those fixtures (or simliar) and put the correct bulbs, I used the 'blue' bulbs and white actinic.

Overall I think it worked quite nicely, the hood was simple.. made out of 1/2" ply, just a box that fit on the tank.. I staind it as well. They worked great, and wasnt' hard to build!

well its a 15 tall so i dont think that would work or me

anyway i geuss i will spring for the 80-100 $ for the corallife quad PC

thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom